Cardrona Golf Club

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Has anyone played here before?

Looking to playing here on the way up to St Andrews and was wondering if anyone has any reviews of the place?

DCB

Visit site
Typical resort course, some good holes, some average holes and one or two rather contrived holes just to keep the yardage up.

It runs next to the Tweed and can be very wet or soft at time. Buggies may not be available if conditions are wet/soft.

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
Overpriced and a real slog, especially if it has been wet. Some of the walks between holes are like playing an extra hole.

Save yourself some money and play Peebles' town course instead; it is far better layout (imo) and less likely to be wet.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A real long walk and not the most exciting of courses. Play somewhere better like Peebles, the woll, the hirsel or my home course minto. They are the better courses in the area and wont cost as much.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Garish, is The Hirsel still in good shape? My old club used to go there every year for a day trip. Always enjoyed it, particularly the fun, short par 3. I keep meaning to get back up there.

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played cardrona 5 times each time it's soaking. Better courses in area.
Roxburghe
Peebles
West Linton

Or go up to Edinburgh/gullane

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Garish, is The Hirsel still in good shape? My old club used to go there every year for a day trip. Always enjoyed it, particularly the fun, short par 3. I keep meaning to get back up there.

Yeah ive only played it once about 18 months ago and it was in good shape. I believe it gets quite wet in the winter but in the summer it is one of the best in the area.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Nope, but Lanark is a cracking course in its own right, and a good stop off point on the way to Fife.

If you like Delamere, its like that but even more scenic.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As said, really long walk, wet, really high jungle off piste, not many positives.

Play at Peebles, West Linton, Lanark, Braid Hills before you play there

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Would a links course not be of more benefit if you are heading up to St Andrews to play. Goswick Dunbar and Gullane all not far off the A1 and will be in much better condition.

A lad that is coming with us on the trip works at Cardrona so will get on free of charge matey.

He also gets staff discount at all other Macdonald hotels so may be staying at the hotel running adjacent to the 17th on the old course!

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A lad that is coming with us on the trip works at Cardrona so will get on free of charge matey.

He also gets staff discount at all other Macdonald hotels so may be staying at the hotel running adjacent to the 17th on the old course!

Then the question you need to ask yourself is, "is a trudge around a wet field any more enjoyable because it's free?"

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

What time of year are you going? If its a free round it will be worth it. I'd just take a trolley if you weren't already planning too.

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Then the question you need to ask yourself is, "is a trudge around a wet field any more enjoyable because it's free?"

Its more for the convenience than it being free.

Playing next month Garush so chances are it'll be wet.
Not taking my trolley as cba packing it into my friends car.