Car service booking.. too early?

V

vkurup

Bought a new Volvo XC60 less than 9 months ago and its done just a shade under 7K miles. Switched it on this morning and the screen suggests that I should book a service!!. While I understand cars have moved on from fixed mileage servicing and 'tell you' when they need servicing; but i cant figure out why it would ask for being serviced under 7K miles.

Never had a Volvo before this and question to other XC60 owners.. is this a common thing to have Volvo serviced at such short notice? Advice on nhext steps?

D

Deleted member 15344

Bought a new Volvo XC60 less than 9 months ago and its done just a shade under 7K miles. Switched it on this morning and the screen suggests that I should book a service!!. While I understand cars have moved on from fixed mileage servicing and 'tell you' when they need servicing; but i cant figure out why it would ask for being serviced under 7K miles.

Never had a Volvo before this and question to other XC60 owners.. is this a common thing to have Volvo serviced at such short notice? Advice on nhext steps?

I'm guessing the obvious answer is speak to the Volvo garage

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Anything in the manual. I'm sure if you contact a dealer there "insist" you bring it in. Kerching

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Normal servicing for this car is around 12k, I have one. Either your driving it in a manner or circumstance it doesn't like and it needs one early or could it be one of those "let's check everything is okay" new car first services? I thought that was around 4k but I can't remember now.

Mine has always come up with the service sign on or around the 12k mark, as it should so this does seem strange. Unfortunately your dealer is likely to call you in to plug in the car and see what it wants and whether a service really is required.

Are you doing a lot of stop start driving? Short journeys?

V

vkurup

Normal servicing for this car is around 12k, I have one. Either your driving it in a manner or circumstance it doesn't like and it needs one early or could it be one of those "let's check everything is okay" new car first services? I thought that was around 4k but I can't remember now.

Mine has always come up with the service sign on or around the 12k mark, as it should so this does seem strange. Unfortunately your dealer is likely to call you in to plug in the car and see what it wants and whether a service really is required.

Are you doing a lot of stop start driving? Short journeys?

It is usually on short runs .. might do 20-25 miles in urban traffic which I think is not a good thing for the XC nor for the fuel consumption. Couple of times took her on Surrey - Norfolk trips and fuel was great; round trip in 1 tank

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

If it's come out of the factory and sat in the compound for three months then it's twelve months old ?
This should be rectified when the car is prepped maybe it was over looked.
only a suggestion.

Dellboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
OK so it's not the same vehicle but I have a new Nissan NV200 van.
Service was due at 12000 but service light came on at 9500, was told it's because the engine oil has started to break down, a common thing with new vehicles, so I found out.
Next services should be back to correct mileage, 24000 miles.

Dellboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I had never heard of it before but that came from Nissan technology department.

I asked in the dealership next door, (Madza, my mate works there) and was told the same.

Like I said, can only go on what I was told.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Never heard of that before.

I had never heard of it before but that came from Nissan technology department.

I asked in the dealership next door, (Madza, my mate works there) and was told the same.

Like I said, can only go on what I was told.

Neither had I but you live & learn;

http://motorist.org/articles/auto-service-reminder-light

"The system continually analyzes the way the vehicle is driven, and uses this analysis to determine when service is needed, however, many of these systems do not directly measure lubricant quality. A few systems use oil condition sensors to measure a direct lubricant characteristics and determine oil change intervals. Even these systems give a limited amount of information regarding the lubricants actual condition."

V

vkurup

Neither had I but you live & learn;

http://motorist.org/articles/auto-service-reminder-light

"The system continually analyzes the way the vehicle is driven, and uses this analysis to determine when service is needed, however, many of these systems do not directly measure lubricant quality. A few systems use oil condition sensors to measure a direct lubricant characteristics and determine oil change intervals. Even these systems give a limited amount of information regarding the lubricants actual condition."

Interesting.. havent called the garage yet.

The other thing that the guy had mentioned during the sales cycle was about the catalytic converter doing a build up if you dont drive long distance. His recommendation was that if the lights come on, you need to take it for some miles of motorway driving and it will clear itself up

D

Deleted Member 1156

Interesting.. havent called the garage yet.

The other thing that the guy had mentioned during the sales cycle was about the catalytic converter doing a build up if you dont drive long distance. His recommendation was that if the lights come on, you need to take it for some miles of motorway driving and it will clear itself up

This is referred to as a 'regeneration' and happens when the DPF gets clogged up. There is a bit more to it than just blasting up the motorway, the garage needs to plug in the diagnostic laptop and reset some flags.

Going back to your original query, as stated the engine management system monitors the type of driving you do and the oil will break down more quickly if you are doing lots of stop/start driving, particularly if the engine isn't heating up fully. My daily commute is 40 miles of motorway and dual carriage and my car will often go 20k between oil changes.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Vkurup, that would be a different light. Sometimes you can clear it, sometimes not. I think with the volvo by the time the engine warning light comes on it is too late to blast it clear.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
You'll only have the DPF if it's diesel and giving the engine some good runs ad high revs will help. Small low mileage runs in a diesel aren't good.

On the service front, my Mazda 3 Diesel has just been serviced a little under a year since I got it and it has just over 7k miles on it. Just a routine, oil change, air filter cleaned, brakes, tires and fluids checked.

V

vkurup

You'll only have the DPF if it's diesel and giving the engine some good runs ad high revs will help. Small low mileage runs in a diesel aren't good.

On the service front, my Mazda 3 Diesel has just been serviced a little under a year since I got it and it has just over 7k miles on it. Just a routine, oil change, air filter cleaned, brakes, tires and fluids checked.

Glad to see I am not the only one on low mileage servicing then