Can you start again?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Handicap-System-Manual/Decision-01/

It's a little more complicated than this, but does anyone know if someone could start again the wrong way round (whichever way that is) and get a handicap in this country (UK) and if so what if any kind of restrictions might apply.

I played with a guy who was a Cat 1 right handed then had a shoulder injury, so changed to left-handed. Got down to 7 left-handed.

But he only had 1 handicap at a time. I think he had it re-assessed shortly after he changed - presumably putting in 3 cards again.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Handicap-System-Manual/Decision-01/

It's a little more complicated than this, but does anyone know if someone could start again the wrong way round (whichever way that is) and get a handicap in this country (UK) and if so what if any kind of restrictions might apply.

don't see why it's more complicated.......you can't get a 'new handicap' as that decision makes clear (and you can't hold 2 handicaps either).

you could start to play another way round, or with only a wedge and a putter etc etc - but it's going to take a long time for your handicap to adjust.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you leave a club and don't rejoin or join another for over six months you can in effect start again as your handicap will lapse and you will need to put in 3 new cards for a new one.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
don't see why it's more complicated.......you can't get a 'new handicap' as that decision makes clear (and you can't hold 2 handicaps either).

you could start to play another way round, or with only a wedge and a putter etc etc - but it's going to take a long time for your handicap to adjust.

Are you referring to part 1 or part 2 of that decision? The 2nd part indicates you could put in anew if you stopped playing the other way.

I'm a little injured and playing the other way could extend me playing my normal way.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It would make no difference to me whether you could have 2 h'caps or not. I'd be hopeless left handed, absolutely hopeless. There would be no point playing.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are you referring to part 1 or part 2 of that decision? The 2nd part indicates you could put in anew if you stopped playing the other way.

I'm a little injured and playing the other way could extend me playing my normal way.

I was referencing the USGA decision you referenced, and extending it into the CONGU world as you indicated in your post.

As Rulefan points out you can always (technically) loose your handicap, and depending on the circumstances/timing etc the the procedure for restoring it or allocating it will differ. However, in any event the previous level of handicap will be considered and it's not necessary in your situation anyway.

The handicap committee is perfectly entitled to make an upward general play adjustment on medical grounds if they consider it appropriate; discuss it with them.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you leave a club and don't rejoin or join another for over six months you can in effect start again as your handicap will lapse and you will need to put in 3 new cards for a new one.

However you should inform your new club of your old handicap, when you last played etc and they could use that information along with the 3 cards to sort out the new handicap. We even include a section in the application asking those questions and if they are aware of their CDH number.