Can you repair scratch marks on 3 wood head?

Harley-D

Visit site
Dont know how it hapenned but my brand new three wood now has a horrible scratched (through to the metal) area just above the face.??

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
You can, but it depends on how bad it is as to how good the repair is. There are a few guys out there that do a respray/ customization of woods which may help if it's really bad, otherwise people work with sharpies (not the best) and golf club touch up paint. I did it with my old M2 after it slipped out of my very wet hands and bounced on a gravel path the first time I took it on the course. No amount of touch up worked well enough, in the end I just got used to it.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is the same as any scratch on any metal or other surface. The repair will never 'go away' completely unless done to the original manufacturers specifications e.g. completely matching the original paint colour.

You can buy close matching touch up paints on ebay

AAC

Visit site
I had an old hybrid that was scruffy, so I rubbed it down, prepared and primed it then sprayed it with a rattle can car paint, then clear lacquered it. It took a couple of hours but it looked miles better and has lasted pretty well.

Boomy

Visit site
Skid lid unfortunately. How can a ball leave such damage?

Horrible things lid skids (sky marks) Some good tips for repair on the thread. Unbelievable how much damage they can do! I had them years ago but never tried to repair any, so can’t advise on that.

Jason.H

Visit site
If there’s any grit between ball and club which a fat shot can do. I once used a fairway wood out a fairway bunker and got it a bit fat and it scratched the paint on the top edge. I never had it painted but it annoyed me every time I pulled out the club.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
3 choices...
1. Fix it or get it fixed
2. Live with it and liken it to a battlescar.
3. Take the hit, sell it, buy another...I'd probably go #3 personally...

At least it wasn't the new Stealth driver that someone ploughed at a driving range as seen via twitter yesterday...

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
3 choices...

At least it wasn't the new Stealth driver that someone ploughed at a driving range as seen via twitter yesterday...
We need the link.

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
3 choices...

Some of the bays at our range are far to close to metal posts, for me any way, if you're hitting driver and at least once a month you hear someone hitting one on their back swing

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
A few options;
Touch it up yourself with car test kit or the like
Get it professionally resprayed
Or if you havev any sign company's near you you could get them to Wrap it. I had this done to my M2 a few years ago to cover the horrible white stripe on the top. His did it in a carbon fibre wrap. It looked great, alas had to take it off to try a different shaft in it

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you want to keep the price to a minimum and its plain black some nail varnish may work, or take it to a car shop and see if they can match a touch up to their closest colour, really depends on how good you need it to be to be satisfied. Getting it professionally sprayed will obviously be best but will be costly, it may work out cheaper to tidy it up best you can then take the hit on resale and buy a new one.

Last edited:

Harley-D

Visit site
If you want to keep the price to a minimum and its plain black some nail varnish may work, or take it to a car shop and see if they can match a touch up to their closest colour, really depends on how good you need it to be to be satisfied. Getting it professionally sprayed will obviously be best but will be costly, it may work out cheaper to tidy it up best you can then take the hit on resale and buy a new one.

Unfortunately it is new! Two weeks!

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Unfortunately it is new! Two weeks!

Exactly so should still have a decent resale value if the sky mark annoys you that much, someone out there will be happy to live with it to get a "new" club at a discount. Personally I would try to tidy it up as best as possible for minimal outlay and try to forget about it. If that's happened within 2 weeks there's nothing to say it can't happen again, all it takes is a dodgy lie or one poor swing.