Can range balls damage club face?

Mattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi All

hit 100 or so balls with my new i20 clubs and they already have small scratches on the face of a few
of the club faces.

Some of the balls I hit were pretty old, are these doing damage to my lovely new clubs?

Mattie

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
They will be more noticably scratched if they're new, but a range ball (or any dirty ball) can damage the club face as i found out. I hit a gritty ball from the bunker last week and my Cleveland wedge has a gouge out of it. think i might even need to replace it

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Sickener when that happens, especially with new shinys! :eek:ne:

Clean the face all you like but you just can't help it if your ball is dirty.
Gutted when I did a few of mine first time out on the course with them. Mine were minor scratches though. I'd be suicidal if I took big lumps out of them! :mad:

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Although I don't own them I've heard that the new i20's scuff up a bit more than usual.
Somebody on Golf Magic was complaining about it.
Wouldn't worry if I were you. It adds character.

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Although I don't own them I've heard that the new i20's scuff up a bit more than usual.
Somebody on Golf Magic was complaining about it.
Wouldn't worry if I were you. It adds character.

Only if the scuff is on the sweetspot.

Otherwise it looks like the club's are owned by a right chopper.... :clap:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
They will be more noticably scratched if they're new, but a range ball (or any dirty ball) can damage the club face as i found out. I hit a gritty ball from the bunker last week and my Cleveland wedge has a gouge out of it. think i might even need to replace it

Why would you need to replace it? I'm sure it performs just fine.

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Actually big slice and I just commented earlier this week that there seems to be quite a lot of small stones in the bunkers. May be due to the finer sand being blown out, you may have noticed it is sometimes windy down there.
;)

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
Actually big slice and I just commented earlier this week that there seems to be quite a lot of small stones in the bunkers. May be due to the finer sand being blown out, you may have noticed it is sometimes windy down there.
;)

Never seen so many stones in the bunkers, I just lift my ball most of the time if its a bounce match.its as though they just grab it straight off the beach.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Horrible marking up the faces and soles on new irons but it just cant be avoided either on course or at a range,likes been said thou it does add to the charactor and best to treat it as that or youll drive yourself mad!!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've found that most range balls do leave marks as they tend to be rocks compared to the normal balls I use. Add in the fact that you tend to normally hit a good number of shots per club so there is repetiton to add as well. Shame when it happens on new clubs but its inevitable. Is it worse with forged?

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I try to get a matching demo club (£5-£10 from pro shop or e-bay) for bashing balls on the range.

It is worst when it's muddy as the balls are always dirty. On a bad day I wipe them over with my golf towel before hitting.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
With all the above advice should I really be bashing 200+ range balls a week with my mizzy 57s, being hand crafted by blind nuns and all that.

Mattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes that is true they are to be used. Guess I should stick to the good range a few more miles away, they have decent balls.

Maybe I shouldnt hit them so hard ;)

Scottjd1

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My MP53's are showing face marks, I use my PW a lot on the practice ground and think its a combination of the forged face, range balls and the sandy/gritty undersoil on the practice area.

They were shiny last year.
:mmm:
Still, the more worn they look the nearer I am to convincing myself that I need more new clubs :cheers:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No matter how well you look after them, sooner or later you'll hit a stone you hadn't seen.

This morning - 8 iron out of the rough and got a tinny sound when I hit the ball. There's now a chip about 3-4mm diameter on the leading edge of my club. :(