Can a committee deem this rule?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Played this course where the rough on the left of 1 hole had a rule whereby if your ball goes in it you take it out with a free drop, no penalty. This applies even if you cant find it!
The rough is over a hill so its a blind drive that you see heading in that direction but you cant see it go in, so you dont know where it went in or even if it went in, but all you do is drop a new ball with no penalty!

I thought that was changing the rules of golf which committees dont have the power to do....or am I mistaken

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sounds odd.

However, I do know of a few areas of courses where weird and dodgy local rules apply. I'd have thought almost anything was possible, although this would take some explaining!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The Grove do this.

Not sure if they have "members" and "comps" though...Do they?

They certainly have a rule where if you smack it in the bundu you drop out....

T

thecraw

I'm sure its Dumfries and County who have a crazy local rule that you can't hit driver off of the tee in case you go into houses adjacent.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm sure its Dumfries and County who have a crazy local rule that you can't hit driver off of the tee in case you go into houses adjacent.
So the guy I went round with on Thursday, who hit a 3-wood, 20 or 30 yards past everyone's Driver would have been OK?

Some areas of some clubs have general areas bounded by blue stakes/lines (young trees tend to be the reason) for which relief is compulsory and free - even if ball lost. The 'Rule' may simply be additional notification of that.

T

thecraw

So the guy I went round with on Thursday, who hit a 3-wood, 20 or 30 yards past everyone's Driver would have been OK?

Some areas of some clubs have general areas bounded by blue stakes/lines (young trees tend to be the reason) for which relief is compulsory and free - even if ball lost. The 'Rule' may simply be additional notification of that.

To be fair I actually think the wording is a wood. Blooming crazy.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

but isnt that changing the rules of golf? compulsory relief I dont disagree with but you need to find the ball first.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
but isnt that changing the rules of golf? compulsory relief I dont disagree with but you need to find the ball first.

Provided it is known or virtually certain that your ball has entered - and stayed in - an area of GUR, the rule is exactly the same whether you find the ball or not. If not found, the relief is taken using the point of entry.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I played a course a few years ago which had a short par 4 dogleg with the greenkeepers sheds on a direct line to the green.I was told there was a rule that you weren't allowed to go 'over the corner' in case you hit one of the green staff.
It might of been Mid Yorks so Vig, where are you?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Played at Carya in Turkey. Lovely course, but one stupid "local" rule....
The course is advertised, and marketed, as a "heathland" course, like a true British heath and heather course, and is the only one of it's kind in Turkey.
But if you land in the heather you have to take a free drop!
Not a lot of point in trying to be too accurate, you might as well smash it all around the gaff
:mad:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played at Carya in Turkey. Lovely course, but one stupid "local" rule....
The course is advertised, and marketed, as a "heathland" course, like a true British heath and heather course, and is the only one of it's kind in Turkey.
But if you land in the heather you have to take a free drop!
Not a lot of point in trying to be too accurate, you might as well smash it all around the gaff
:mad:

Have played Carya and know what you mean - it's usually just in front of the tee which is probably how you came to visit it. I think they are just trying to protect it, I suppose. Heather is surprisingly difficult to establish and, even when established it still needs protecting. You will know that even the long-established heather at Woodhall Spa (which I'm sure you visited) is jealously guarded by forbidding trollies from entering it.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played a course a few years ago which had a short par 4 dogleg with the greenkeepers sheds on a direct line to the green.I was told there was a rule that you weren't allowed to go 'over the corner' in case you hit one of the green staff.
It might of been Mid Yorks so Vig, where are you?

I've played that hole. One of the most outrageous greens I've ever putted on.