Calling all runners.

Hogieefc

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi All,
After 10 years of having trouble with my knees ( work related ) last year i changed my job in work and have now found myself practically pain free in the knee area,i am no longer wearing patella bands just to get around the golf course and recently decided to give the gym a go in order to lose some weight and regain some fitness.

The other night my son suggested going for a run which bearing in mind the last time i went running was probably around 15 years ago i was a bit apprehensive, anyway being the fool i am i went out and managed just over 3k with just one little breather, i realise that in the grand scheme of things that it is no great distance but i was fairly happy with myself.
Now here is my dilemma, my brother has signed up for the Great Manchester run 10k in May and is doing it for the Charity Multiple Sclerosis as my sister suffers from it, so will i be able to go out and train myself to do this distance by May ???.

Any thoughts or advice on how to achieve this goal are welcome, by the way i am 56 years old and not at the greatest level of fitness.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi All,
After 10 years of having trouble with my knees ( work related ) last year i changed my job in work and have now found myself practically pain free in the knee area,i am no longer wearing patella bands just to get around the golf course and recently decided to give the gym a go in order to lose some weight and regain some fitness.

The other night my son suggested going for a run which bearing in mind the last time i went running was probably around 15 years ago i was a bit apprehensive, anyway being the fool i am i went out and managed just over 3k with just one little breather, i realise that in the grand scheme of things that it is no great distance but i was fairly happy with myself.
Now here is my dilemma, my brother has signed up for the Great Manchester run 10k in May and is doing it for the Charity Multiple Sclerosis as my sister suffers from it, so will i be able to go out and train myself to do this distance by May ???.

Any thoughts or advice on how to achieve this goal are welcome, by the way i am 56 years old and not at the greatest level of fitness.

2 years ago I went for a run and to go round the Sefton park once, I had 10 rests (about 2.3 miles).

3 months later I was running round it 3 times without having a rest.

I was 43 and about 19 stone at the time.

No wonder the council is skint, filling in my potholes.

Taking possible injury out of it, and that your ancient - yes I think you can do it.:thup:

D

Deleted member 16999

Hi All,

From 3K today to 10k in May is more than achievable, taking it easy, jogging/walking 2-3 times a week increasing by no more than 10% every week, stop or walk at the first sign of any pains and set your targets as distance rather time.
Goid luck, you can do that easily.

Hogieefc

Club Champion
Visit site
Good God, is 56 ancient now. :angry:

If i had to chase all the women who give me the come on i could probably do 10k tomorrow ;)

D

Deleted member 16999

Good God, is 56 ancient now. :angry:

If i had to chase all the women who give me the come on i could probably do 10k tomorrow ;)

Not age related, more to do with your lack of running for a long time and injury history, woukd be the same advice if you were 36 or 46.

gmc40

Head Pro
Visit site
You can do it. I was 19.5 stone this time last year. I started going the gym in January and then running at the end of February. I was just doing a very slow 1 min run on the treadmill followed by 2 mins rest and repeat. I gradually built it up and did a 5k in April followed by a 10k in June. I've lost 6 stone now and did my first Marathon on New Years Eve. I'm a little younger than you at 45 but if you take your time, put the training in and eat right you'll be surprised just how much you can achieve.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it's just about achievable, as long as you don't over do it to start with. It's very important to have rest days to allow your body to recover. Especially when you're able to run without any walking at all.

A simple regime I used to follow was an easy jog at the start of the week, a longer run mid week, and your longest run at the weekend, using the days in between for your rest days.
Also a good idea is to start the long weekend run at the same time as it would be on race day - to get you accustomed to running at that time.

Good luck!

:thup:

gmc40

Head Pro
Visit site
Look out for your local parkrun. A free timed 5k every Saturday at 9am. They are a great introduction into running events.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
10k is easily doable. You only have to add a k a week to your longest run and have some time to spare to get faster as well. Important is that you do run more than once a week to adapt, but don't run (too much) back to back to recover. I currently a Monday,Wednesday, Saturday routine including parkrun.

Hogieefc

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for your input so far, i think Monday,Wednesday and Saturday is the way to go,seeing the way my sister struggles to get around is all the inspiration i need to motivate me.

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Best of luck with this.
There are a couple of apps out there.
Couch to 5k and couch to 10k, these give you a programme to follow and listen to while you run. That should help as well.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for your input so far, i think Monday,Wednesday and Saturday is the way to go,seeing the way my sister struggles to get around is all the inspiration i need to motivate me.

Definately achievable. Three runs a week is a good balance too, as it avoids risks of overtraining.

Monday and Wednesday shorter runs, Saturday a longer run. For example. Week 1 - Mon and Wed run 1 mile, Sat run 2. Do that again the following week. Week three up it - Mon and Wed run 2 miles, Sat run 3 mile, again week 4. Week 5 and 6 3 miles/3miles/4 miles. And so on. That is very gradual, and you'll be amazed at how quickly you adapt to these longer distances. Run at a pace you can comfortably chat at. Don't start thinking about trying to get faster until you've been doing 6 months running though you will speed up and get fitter naturally.

Alternatively, there are loads of "3 months to 10 k" training schedules around on the internet. Good luck.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Oh, and get yourself to a proper running shop where they can look at your gait and fit you for some proper trainers. (Runners Need for example. They will give you good advice.)

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi All,

My wife took up running about 3 years ago, staring with Couch to 5K and a target of a 5K in less than 30 minutes. I won't get too specific but lets just say the Champions Tour is looming. Now her 5K PB is less than 22 mins, 10K PB about 46 mins and half marathon PB of 1.47 odd.

Following a disciplined training schedule seems to be the secret, with slow long runs, hill repeats and faster interval stuff. She goes on about these a lot and I pretend I am paying attention. Park Run seems to be a good way of getting a bit of semi-competitive running.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
My wife took up running about 3 years ago, staring with Couch to 5K and a target of a 5K in less than 30 minutes. I won't get too specific but lets just say the Champions Tour is looming. Now her 5K PB is less than 22 mins, 10K PB about 46 mins and half marathon PB of 1.47 odd.

Wow - a few minutes off my pb for 10 k and half there. I did mine when I was 20 though!

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Any of the Couch to 5K programmes will be good as a start. One you're able to run 5k two or 3 times a week with regularity, the step up to an occasional or one-off 10km is easily in reach, just run a bit slower for longer, even though it's twice the distance it won't feel like twice the effort.

The worst thing to do is over-exert, stick to the programme even if you feel able to do more. You are most likely to pick up an injury in the first few weeks if you push too hard.

If you have a smart phone, there are some excellent couch to 5km Apps that are well worth the £1.50 investment. They help you keep track of exactly what you're doing and can act as a useful motivator.