caddying, have you ever done it and did it help the guys you did it for?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not talking pro's here, just Ams playing a course?

did my fist stint as a caddy yesterday, there were 8 Americans who wanted to play a day earlier as they had seen the forecast for Sunday. No bag carrying involved just giving lines and where to go etc.

They were nice enough guys and it was a bit of fun, but they were not very good and only managed 1 par the whole way around between the 4 of them and that's off the yellow with no wind what so ever, the best condition's for scoring Ive seen for a while.

if you gave the line of a putt and say a 10 footer left to right and gave instructions for a putt to die to the hole 2 balls left ourside the cup, they would hit it hard right and miss the hole by miles.

I'm not convinced we helped any of them other than where to head for off the tee!!

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not talking pro's here, just Ams playing a course?

did my fist stint as a caddy yesterday, there were 8 Americans who wanted to play a day earlier as they had seen the forecast for Sunday. No bag carrying involved just giving lines and where to go etc.

They were nice enough guys and it was a bit of fun, but they were not very good and only managed 1 par the whole way around between the 4 of them and that's off the yellow with no wind what so ever, the best condition's for scoring Ive seen for a while.

if you gave the line of a putt and say a 10 footer left to right and gave instructions for a putt to die to the hole 2 balls left ourside the cup, they would hit it hard right and miss the hole by miles.

I'm not convinced we helped any of them other than where to head for off the tee!!

Probably best you don't give up the day job, caddying might not be for you.

You're blaming the players but I bet they are blaming you.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Once did it for a mate in our 10-20 Hcp Open comp (he was off 14 I think). A couple of times I got him to play the "sensible" shot after a bad drive when he was not sure how to play it. I like to think my input helped a little as he ended up 2nd. Never know for sure though, he may have won without me!

D

Deleted Member 1156

I've done the Eden/Strathtyrum double at St Andrews as a caddy, both now WAGR events :)

D

Deleted member 17920

Yes adid it for some Americans that flew in for the day, the chap I caddied for was as miserable as me so we got on just fine, he knocked it round the front 9 in one under due to my awesome clubbing.
Back 9 he wasn't so great, £50 for the bag and £40 tip!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I caddied at the addington as a kid, met some great characters and made some good money from 13-17.

I must have been pretty good as I had three regulars who wouldn't have anyone else on their bag. I can remember costing my boss at the time a fortune. I swore mate to the day I knew his game better than he did. Picture this, captains day and there is not a space in the car park, course is jammed packed. We walk into the par 3 7th, a little debate about club and we are not agreeing , he asks for a 6 despite my advice, and plays the shot only to slam it for a hole in one.

He turns around all smug and says " I told you it was a 6 " and a laughed and said " but you hit my 7 "

The group of regular playing partners were in fits of laughter, he must have been a good £500-£700 down, but we won the comp over 36 holes :cheers:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Use to caddy at Coombe Hill as a kid and have also done a few bags at Wentworth. As a kid I'd think nothing of doing 36 holes. Not these days. Done a few celeb bags in pro-ams such as James Bolam and Tim Brooke-Taylor

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Probably best you don't give up the day job, caddying might not be for you.

You're blaming the players but I bet they are blaming you.

No Intention of doing so, just helping out, I doubt i would ever do it again despite getting £85 for it (£40 tip so i can;t have been that bad)

No doubt they would but it was clear to see they were unable to follow simple instructions when it came to putting. If you can see a 30 deg slope angle left to right ... why would you hit it straight right???

They lost so many balls as well, treated all the rough as a lateral hazard so just dropped where they thought they had lost it. Must be at least 50 brand new Prov1's out there from my 4 ball alone and it tool almost 5 hours, but we did finish 2 holes clear of the group behind (the rest of their party).

They were all nice guys though and the two i gave instructions said they were coming back next year and would i caddy for them at all the courses.

My point was i would imagine they prob score better just thinking for themselves with no caddy

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have in the past carried and enjoyed. Mostly good experiences giving lines of tees, carrying clubs and working out distances. Can be a long round but with some decent cash to be made.

I always asked them if they wanted help on the greens with their putts.

Not sure if they gained anything from having me on their bag but at least they didn't have to carry their own clubs. Lots of guys I caddied for were on week long golf trips playing everyday which would be tough if carrying themselves I'd imagine.