Bye Bye Bush!

B

birdieman

I think he'll do just fine, he is one of the very few politicians who actually inspires people rather than bores people when he speaks, that is a rare thing. The UK could do with one or two politicians in his mould instead of the 'children squabbling in a playground' muppets we have. He might be full of it, who knows, but surely he can't be worse than W?
I would watch out for Condoleeza Rice as a future Republican president, maybe in 8 years, she is the only bright light in the Bush Administration and would probably make a good 1st female president.

SS2

Tour Rookie
scoresaver.co.uk
I'll miss Dubya's astonishing grasp of English:

"This thaw -- took a while to thaw, it's going to take a while to unthaw."

"We're fixing to go down to Galveston and obviously are going to see a devastated part of this fantastic state."

"The people in Louisiana must know that all across our country there's a lot of prayer -- prayer for those whose lives have been turned upside down. And I'm one of them."

"I remember meeting a mother of a child who was abducted by the North Koreans right here in the Oval Office."

"Let's make sure that there is certainty during uncertain times in our economy." -- George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., June 2, 2008

"We got plenty of money in Washington. What we need is more priority." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., June 2, 2008

"They misunderestimated me." --George W. Bush, Bentonville, Ark., Nov. 6, 2000

"Never again in the halls of Washington, D.C., do I want to have to make explanations that I can't explain." --George W. Bush, Portland, Oregon, Oct. 31, 2000

Click here for more !

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
It doesn't matter, they are all puppets on strings controlled by the CIA, NSA, NCTC, NCIX, DIA & NIC with added wealth for corporate gangsters adding to the control.

Obama is very much like Blair was, he did great things but they as always tend to go down the pan in politics.

Liberals in the US are still very much conservative compared to the UK version, I don't think there will be massive change and I don't think a liberal approach to terrorism will benefit anyone except terrorists.

But meh what can we small cogs do?

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I just blagged these Bush quotes from Yahoo, sorry if they are doublers.

20. "Those who enter the country illegally violate the law." - Nov. 28, 2005

19. "We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans." - Sept. 6, 2000

18. "If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." - Dec. 19, 2000

17. "Well, I think if you say you're going to do something and don't do it, that's trustworthiness." - Aug. 30, 2000

16. "I think we agree, the past is over." - May 10, 2000

15. "I understand small business growth. I was one." - Feb. 19, 2000

14. "This foreign policy stuff is a little frustrating." - April 23, 2002

13. "I want everybody to hear loud and clear that I'm going to be the president of everybody." - Jan. 18, 2001

12. "One of the great things about books is sometimes there are some fantastic pictures." - Jan. 3, 2000

11. "I was proud the other day when both Republicans and Democrats stood with me in the Rose Garden to announce their support for a clear statement of purpose: you disarm, or we will." - Oct. 5, 2002

10. "I just want you to know that when we talk about war, we're really talking about peace." - June 18, 2002

9. "I'm honored to shake the hand of a brave Iraqi citizen who had his hand cut off by Saddam Hussein." - May 25, 2004

8. "I firmly believe the death tax is good for people from all walks of life all throughout our society." - Aug. 13, 2002

7. "There's an old saying in Tennessee - I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee - that says, fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again." - Sept. 17, 2002

6. "The truth of that matter is, if you listen carefully, Saddam would still be in power if he were the president of the United States, and the world would be a lot better off." - Oct. 8, 2004

5. "I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully." - Sept. 29, 2000

4. "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." - Aug. 5, 2004

3. "Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" - Jan. 11, 2000

2. "I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family." - Jan. 27, 2000

1. "They misunderestimated me." - Nov. 6, 2000

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
What's the odds on Obama getting the crosshairs before next Xmas. If he goes deep south they'll need the national guard for security.

McCain was humble and congratulated him but you could hear the boos and jeers as he was giving his speach.
I think it was the thought of palin as pres that put a lot off cos he certainly wouldn't have seen out his term

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I can't believe BBC2 have cancelled tonights rerun of Topgear to do an hours prog on Obama. I don't care. He is president of some god forsaken s**thole, not the UK, so why reschedule stuff. We know everything there is to know about this bloke, he has been campaigning for two years, he has filled the first 5 pages of every paper today, give it a break.

Another thing, if I am half chinese, half caucasian, I am eurasian, if I am half negro, half caucasian, I am black. I don't get it. A bit like tiger, he is a bit of everything, but is black (apparently). Who cares, he (both) is just another american. Who gives a damn what his racial breakdown is.

Bring back Topgear.

Guess it is back to Iplayer, I hope it is on there, as the last thing I wanted to download was 'not available'. Not happy.

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You can't blame Barrack for the TopGear pulling Murph that was down to Mr Clarksons "Change gear,Change gear,kill prostitute,Change gear" comment.

Right man at the right time he represents change in the eyes of voters and that was the mood of America.

Let's face it he's got to be better than the idiot who was in charge

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can't believe BBC2 have cancelled tonights rerun of Topgear to do an hours prog on Obama. I don't care. He is president of some god forsaken s**thole, not the UK, so why reschedule stuff. We know everything there is to know about this bloke, he has been campaigning for two years, he has filled the first 5 pages of every paper today, give it a break.

Another thing, if I am half chinese, half caucasian, I am eurasian, if I am half negro, half caucasian, I am black. I don't get it. A bit like tiger, he is a bit of everything, but is black (apparently). Who cares, he (both) is just another american. Who gives a damn what his racial breakdown is.

Bring back Topgear.

Guess it is back to Iplayer, I hope it is on there, as the last thing I wanted to download was 'not available'. Not happy.

The Obama lovefest from the yoghurt eating, sandle wearing, lentil knitting BBC has just begun my friend. We've got another couple of months to go before he even becomes President, so you'd better get used to it.

I'm just worried that this guy has been voted in regardless of his policies and purely because of his appearance and if that's the case, then it's all wrong.
Don't get me wrong, I probably would have voted for him myself, but I don't like the idea of voting for someone purely because of his skin colour. I can't recall Oprah actively campaigning for any other candidate in any other election before last night for instance. Coincidence? I think not.
I don't think this guy's the be all and end all. I just think that he was benefitted from a set of circumstances. ie he's not Bush. He's a democrat. He's not a frail looking 72 yo who's appointed a right wing nutjob as his VP candidate.
It will all come out in the wash I suppose, but he's got a hell of a job in front of him, both on the home front and his efforts in improving America's image abroad.

I really hope he makes it happen, but I suppose he couldn't do much worse than the last eight years.

PS. Did anyone watch the BBC coverage last night?
They had John Bolton on and what an ahole he was. Your typical Rumsfeldite Neocon Hawk who started lashing out when he realized that all hope was lost for McCain. Demanding BBC journalists were sacked etc. Good job for him that it was Dimbelby and not Paxman was anchoring the show.
Also they had octogenarian Gore Vidal on who didn't seem to know what day it was never mind give an insighful comment on the nights events. His interview with Dimbelby quickely descended in to a farce and had to be cut short amidst the guffaws of the guests in the studio. it'll be on Youtube somewhere no doubt, but I'm at work at the mo and can't get it,

B

birdieman

Bring back Topgear.

Best rant of the year award goes to Murphthemog, ;) I take it you like Top Gear then?

ps I did say in the first post that it wasn't until January!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Yeah, I like TG, it's isn't the best thing on telly, but it does have it's moments.

Have calmed down this morning, but I haven't checked to see if it is available on Iplayer yet.

If it was pulled due to 200 complaints (out of what, 7 million viewers), then if 200 of us complain about Corrie, will they pull that too.

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm very fearful for Obama. There are some weird people in the US who will not take kindly to a black president, even though he is only half black. Some people have already been arrested for an alleged assassination attempt during the run-up to the vote. I wonder how many more there are out there.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think Obama has a big big job ahead of him and I hope it doesnt backfire after all this time black america have dreamed of this moment.

Its a horrible economic nightmare at the moment, there are massive expectations from americans, there are major employment problems even now out there and right now America doesnt have a massive piggy bank to provide obama with many of his goals without heavy taxation.

I would like to see him succeed because if he fails in the current climate, Americans can be pretty unforgiving and carry a grudge which could ignite unrest..