Buying a 2nd hand driver...

Barking_Mad

Visit site
I'm not going to pay through the nose for a brand new driver, but I'd like to get fitted for one. Any suggestions on how best to do this given the one I test won't be the one I buy?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I suppose you go for a fitting, find out your numbers and specs for whatever current driver works and then try and translate the data to a cheaper 2nd hand model that is as similar as possible to what you tested....
If you ask me, thats just as big a gamble as buying a cheap one off ebay and selling it if it doesn't work....

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Go to a demo day… I went to a Titleist one last week and the findings were significantly different from what I would have expected, particularly in terms of loft. Then, hit eBay.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Get fitted for the latest Taylormade driver, wait 6 months and then buy that model as it will be two models older by then and much cheaper??
Seriously, I don’t think that you will be able to do what you want. What Imurg said above is probably your best option.

D

Deleted member 23270

Try different 2nd hand drivers at a shop with a testing bay or driving range attached. My local AG store is at a range so you can try stuff out.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’ve heard of people getting fitted for a driver, hitting the demo perfect etc yet when the new bat comes it feels completely different. Something to do with variances in manufacturing tolerances being wider for joe public against tour pro models

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm not going to pay through the nose for a brand new driver, but I'd like to get fitted for one. Any suggestions on how best to do this given the one I test won't be the one I buy?
Do it the 'honest' way. Pay for an fitting by an independent Pro/Fitter, having told them what you want to do. They should be able to identify the sort of Head(s) and Shaft(s) that should suit you. Find that combo either in whatever outlets are nearby, or take a punt on Ebay, reselling it if it doesn't work. If you don't have success straight away, don't worry. It's quite a fun journey. Bear in mind though; it can also be more expensive than getting a brand new one.

D

Deleted member 1740

Buying and selling 2nd hand clubs is all part of the fun?

I some shops do free fittings or they charge say £40 and if you buy off them they knock the fitting fee off the price of the club.

Without knowing your budget and you've said you wont pay through the nose, which is fair, you're unlikely to get a fitting with a driver that say is 2-4yrs old as most shops wont stock older kit.

Wherabouts are you based? Theres some 2nd hand shops knocking about where you could try before you buy.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Buying and selling 2nd hand clubs is all part of the fun?

I some shops do free fittings or they charge say £40 and if you buy off them they knock the fitting fee off the price of the club.

Without knowing your budget and you've said you wont pay through the nose, which is fair, you're unlikely to get a fitting with a driver that say is 2-4yrs old as most shops wont stock older kit.

Wherabouts are you based? Theres some 2nd hand shops knocking about where you could try before you buy.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm in Leeds. Leeds Golf Centre do free fittings. As of today I don't have any driver as my brother broke the shaft on my G25. ?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice. I'm in Leeds. Leeds Golf Centre do free fittings. As of today I don't have any driver as my brother broke the shaft on my G25. ?
Well then you budget is whatever you're willing to spend, PLUS whatever your brother owes you! ?

D

Deleted member 1740

Oh ?‍♂️?‍♂️

If it helps i have a Ping G400 with either a reg shaft or a stiff shaft i'd be willing to let go for the right price?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
There used to be an American Golf outlet near me that stocked a huge selection of 2nd hand stuff that people had traded in. You could try any of them on the driving range before buying, it was fantastic when I was first building up my bag when I got back into the game. Unfortunately they shut this branch and others like it I believe, 3 or 4 years back when they were having problems. I was gutted, I still use the irons and a wedge that I got in there. It feels like a place where you can actually try and get almost 'fitted' for second hand gear is such a gap in the market. Without it the options are get fitted and pay through the nose, or get something half the price but it's a total guessing game.

Sorry I realise that doesn't help you much. You can do free fittings at American Golf where you just try everything they've got and see which one you like, then just buy it off eBay later - but that'll still be the latest club offerings.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I’ve heard of people getting fitted for a driver, hitting the demo perfect etc yet when the new bat comes it feels completely different. Something to do with variances in manufacturing tolerances being wider for joe public against tour pro models

More to do with spining the shaft on the demo club allegedly. There was a school of thought that said if you could buy the driver you actually hit and replace it with one from the pro shop, walk away…

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
G25 is still a great club/head Why not simply get it re-shafted? You can even use that head for any 'fitting' as the shaft can (has to) be removed, at least afaik.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
My advice would be to get your current driver fitted. If youve got an independent near by, ask if they can help, youll probably end up with a new shaft in your g25 thatll conpete against anything, would probably set you back about £200....

I got fit into my driver last year, i didnt even have it with me. My G410 LST was agrred to be about similar to a SIM max, (the fitter reckoned using the actual sim wouldnt spin to little) he also took off .5 degrees of loft and had me hitting very familiar looking drives...

Eventually settled on a shaft, he fitted a ping tip and invited me back after a fortnight just to check.

Its been awsome, and hes earned a loyal customer, as he probably new he would...

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
If the g25 doesnt have an interchangeable hosel, bite the bullet and get a new driver. Get a free AG fitting, ask what weight, flex and launch shaft suits you best from them, and note your swing speed, atttack angle, lauch angle and spin numbers (ideally dynamic loft if you can) then find one on golf bidder etc with similar properties from 2 years ago. Loads of advice available on here if you need recommendations once you have your

Hoganman1

Visit site
Getting fit for an older model driver is difficult. I play a Ping G400 I bought on sale almost two years ago. Rather than going to a fitter I played several rounds and spent some time on the range with a friends G400. Hopefully, you can convince some of your golf buddies to let you try their drivers.