butt trimming shafts vs swing weight R11s and R11s tp

theballboy

Medal Winner
Visit site
ok, heres a question.

I like to play my driver at 44in playing length.
I have over the past year+ be tinkering with trimming regripping swingweighting etc and my understanding is this thus far

trim an inch off the butt of a driver = 6sw points which equates to 11-12g weight needing added to the head to bring it back up to same sw it was before
Butt triming has a minimal effect on shaft stiffness

so I had intended to get myself an r11s and trim to 44" and reweight head
BUT

I was under the impression that the R11s head was same for both tp and regular shafted version
However there is a .75in difference in the size of the standard shaft versus the tp shaft.
So then
Regular r11s at 45.75 = D4
tp at 45.25 then should be d1 - (.5inch = 2-3 sw points)

but its not - i think ts the same.........HOW?

this is important to me because if I buy a non tp R11s Ill have to chop off nearly 2inch to get it to were I want which will have a massive effect on the swing weight and thus the ability to load the shaft etc etc

Can anyone comment on this?
Thanks in advance, i know its all a bit technical and possibly boring!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not something I personally would do myself, would rather let an expert do it, is it not possible to order the R11S in a 44" with the swingweight you desire and hence not have to go through the whole process?

theballboy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Not something I personally would do myself, would rather let an expert do it, is it not possible to order the R11S in a 44" with the swingweight you desire and hence not have to go through the whole process?

Yeah well I don't mind tinkering and would rather know as I'm sure ill pick up another shaft or 2 that ill wanna cut 2.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
ok, heres a question.

I like to play my driver at 44in playing length.
I have over the past year+ be tinkering with trimming regripping swingweighting etc and my understanding is this thus far

trim an inch off the butt of a driver = 6sw points which equates to 11-12g weight needing added to the head to bring it back up to same sw it was before
Butt triming has a minimal effect on shaft stiffness

so I had intended to get myself an r11s and trim to 44" and reweight head
BUT

I was under the impression that the R11s head was same for both tp and regular shafted version
However there is a .75in difference in the size of the standard shaft versus the tp shaft.
So then
Regular r11s at 45.75 = D4
tp at 45.25 then should be d1 - (.5inch = 2-3 sw points)

but its not - i think ts the same.........HOW?

this is important to me because if I buy a non tp R11s Ill have to chop off nearly 2inch to get it to were I want which will have a massive effect on the swing weight and thus the ability to load the shaft etc etc

Can anyone comment on this?
Thanks in advance, i know its all a bit technical and possibly boring!

the shafts you are comparing are different weights - the heavier ones being the shorter ones and giving you the same swingweight.

you have huge scope to fine tune via the grip weight as well; both here are up at 55g and you could reduce this rather than adding weight to the head if that's a concern.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
don't care what you say i am not having my butt trimmed by any shaft just to gain a few yards,out of curiosity how many yards could i gain !!

theballboy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Off 13 just at the minute and playing a 910 d2 with stock kaili trimmed to 44". Def notice a difference. Thought it felt bit stiffer as I couldn't feel it loading but now realise that it's the swing weight. Much lighter overall and in the swing and can def notice the difference. Must be acting in the c range at the minute. Looking for one of the heavier weights for it but can't locate any (and don't like the lead tape thing) the r11s head would be much easier to weight due to availability if weights and all the weight options but would like to try and work it out

theballboy

Medal Winner
Visit site
the shafts you are comparing are different weights - the heavier ones being the shorter ones and giving you the same swingweight.

you have huge scope to fine tune via the grip weight as well; both here are up at 55g and you could reduce this rather than adding weight to the head if that's a concern.

Interesting you say that cuz I stuck a Winn lite on my kaili that I cut. Must have been 25g saved there but swing weight still feels light

mab

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The main influencing factors of swingweight in stock clubs are:

- head weight
- shaft weight
- grip weight
- club length

If you shorten the club, there are a number of ways to restore the swingweight... inclusing lead tape on the head, tip weights in the hosel, hotmelting, heavier shaft, lighter grip, etc.

As you state, butt trimming does not materially influence flex. However, if you cut two inches off the shaft and add 24g to the head via tape or hotmelt (I'm using a somewhat extreme example to illustrate a point), that heaver headweight will make your shaft play much softer than it originally did.

Hope that helps a little.

theballboy

Medal Winner
Visit site
The main influencing factors of swingweight in stock clubs are:

- head weight
- shaft weight
- grip weight
- club length

If you shorten the club, there are a number of ways to restore the swingweight... inclusing lead tape on the head, tip weights in the hosel, hotmelting, heavier shaft, lighter grip, etc.

As you state, butt trimming does not materially influence flex. However, if you cut two inches off the shaft and add 24g to the head via tape or hotmelt (I'm using a somewhat extreme example to illustrate a point), that heaver headweight will make your shaft play much softer than it originally did.

Hope that helps a little.

Def helps yeah. Something to consider as an option also if a shaft is too stout. Thanks