Bunkers - what am I doing wrong

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Our bunkers don't usually have 3" of sand Bob so if I aim for that, I'll hit the bottom. Presumably if I'm aiming shallower, I need to aim to hit closer behind the ball?

if you want to go shallower, there will be less sand between the clubface and ball, so you'll need to reduce the speed.
Although, a SW traveling at speed shouldn't have much problem getting through the dirt under the sand.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A lot of the pros use the butterfly grip, I first found out about it via out assistant pro who picked up a few things through Michael Bannon coaching Rory at our place (our practice bunker and green is on a fair slope so god practice getting the ball up, out and stopped on the green).
Pete Cowan touched on it if that is the same clip I am thinking of (post above), grip the club with both hands turned in nice and snug as it lets you hinge as early as possible and to me seems to keep the clubface pointing in the right direction. Since changing to it, I have rediscovered my love of bunkershots again.

Yeah I saw the Pete Cowan video. Gonna try to get in the practice bunker this week providing it's not frozen solid

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Are bunkers were frozen solid today, any tips for playing out of compact wet and frozen sand

I use my 60 deg wedge now in the bunkers face square but today i think i could of chipped out it was solid

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some of the bunkers at my club are so solid at the moment that the only way I can play out of them in any way predictably is to pick it off the top with my lob wedge.
Fortunately I'm rarely in the bunker as there aren't too many in spots that catch me out (famous last words).

:(
Bunker play is without doubt the worst part of my game. I have zero idea what I'm doing really.

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not really my place, playing off 12, but I am quite good out of bunkers (loads of practice, probably).

I read a Leadbetter article about 20 years ago and it has worked pretty well for me. Take an open stance, open the club face all the way (I use a 60*) and focus on a spot an inch or so behind the ball, rather than at the ball itself. Take a full swing and accelerate smoothly through the ball.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That video is ok but.......he's got the ball back in his stance. I'd rather see it well forward towards the left foot

i agree. i was clipping them out with the ball well forward. i still need to do a bit more work. im under the impression that you cant use this flipping motion when the ball if plugged. big phil advocates the hands driving forward for this shot.

i looking forward to mastering the bunker shot. if i can do this then i can get a little more aggressive going into greens. water will be the only thing to really worry about.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Jeff Ritter has a method he calls 'Fold and Throw' I have tried this and it is a very good way to get the ball out the bunker. You need to practice it so that you understand how fast to swing as the ball comes out very well and it is easy to hit it too far.

[video=youtube;ufUaHJV9I7g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufUaHJV9I7g[/video]

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
My favourite bunker lesson video.

[video=youtube;PqY1oQLwQsU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqY1oQLwQsU[/video]

Now that does make it look easy.

Good tip about not letting the grip get too far ahead or too far behind at impact.