Bunker problem

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I put my tee shot on the 18th (par 3)into a green side bunker. As I played the shot out my club went under the ball into the sand and bottomed out. Under the sand, although I've never seen it before is a underlayer (membrane) of what looks like matting or towel. My club snagged it and it wrapped round the hosel and badly affected my shot which stopped the ball from popping out.

I assume it is just unlucky, and recorded a 5 as I counted the shot, and played again from the position in the bunker where the first shot came to rest - was that correct?

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I put my tee shot on the 18th (par 3)into a green side bunker. As I played the shot out my club went under the ball into the sand and bottomed out. Under the sand, although I've never seen it before is a underlayer (membrane) of what looks like matting or towel. My club snagged it and it wrapped round the hosel and badly affected my shot which stopped the ball from popping out.

I assume it is just unlucky, and recorded a 5 as I counted the shot, and played again from the position in the bunker where the first shot came to rest - was that correct?
We have these linings in every bunker.
They are a nightmare as you can’t hit a splash shot out if the sand is to shallow.
If you hit the lining it either thins it over the green or you duff it as the lining just takes all the force out of the stroke.

My guess is there is not enough sand in your bunker .
These linings are in lots of courses bunkers.
But if you have them you need to keep the sand topped up so players don’t hit them.
Many courses don’t do this as sand now is very expensive.

Yes you were correct.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes.

If you had realised the liner was there* before taking the shot you would have been entitled to relief but not after hitting the shot

E.g when settling your feet in to the sand.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes.

If you had realised the liner was there* before taking the shot you would have been entitled to relief but not after hitting the shot

Absolutely correct, I'd never seen any membrane over the 20+ years I've played there but I think that the sand is too little now

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes.

We had a thread about this last year and apparently if you suspect there’s a lining you can stick a tee in the sand to look for the lining but not to test the sand.

salfordlad

Visit site
We had a thread about this last year and apparently if you suspect there’s a lining you can stick a tee in the sand to look for the lining but not to test the sand.
I'll amplify this issue - because there is some nuance here.
It is permitted to probe near the ball (without improving CATS) to test whether the club may strike an obstruction below the surface (8.1a/7 and 12.2b/2).
But probing to assess the depth of the sand to decide whether enough room for a splash shot is ruled as testing the sand and a breach of 12.2b(1).

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'll amplify this issue - because there is some nuance here.
It is permitted to probe near the ball (without improving CATS) to test whether the club may strike an obstruction below the surface (8.1a/7 and 12.2b/2).
But probing to assess the depth of the sand to decide whether enough room for a splash shot is ruled as testing the sand and a breach of 12.2b(1).
I said to our pro that here was something in the back of my mind that i'd seen, but couldn't recall (should appear at the post office enquiry with my memory) and it's the first point that you make.

As I've never wrapped a membrane from any bunker round my club before, I doubt if ever try the option to probe, thus avoiding the arguments I'd have with my playing partners 😁