Bunker Play

Stuart_Wales

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Right, this is the only shot where I dont really have a clue, have very little confidence and usually costs me a lot!

My father told me the following when I was an early teen and I havent really looked further. My strategy is to miss all bunkers. If I land in one, it's potential double figured score!

- Dont rest club head on sand. This will incur a pentalty shot. Obvious and basic rules of golf.
- Find your line then get a good footing by smashing your shoes about a few inches into the sand. Never questioned this. Is this purely due to the terrain being sand??
-
Hit sand, and hit before the ball stroking down with a steep swing. And that was pretty much it. Always a full swing. 1/10 will get the desired effect, 8/10 will go 50 yards past the green, 1/10 will stay in the bunker.

1. What if the pin is 1metre away or 10, any tips on distance control?
2. How do I get the 'pop' up effect, like the pros (or as close as possible)?
3. I carry a 60 deg lob wedge. Would a larger loft help in certain bunker scenarios?

Thanks in advance!

I'll be spending alot of time in the sand this summer practacing! :thup:

Callum

Club Champion
Visit site
1. Correct that you can't touch sand with club.
2. Hit about 2-4 inches behind the ball
3. Make sure you follow through

A quick tip on lining up aim to the left as 90% of bunker short go right due to body position.

If you are really stuck with bunkers have a look at a few online tutorial videos as they really helped me get some of the worse parts of my game tighter.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I agree with Callum about the tutorials - Google is your friend here.

A couple of other points.

1. Full follow through is essential!
2. While you must hit down, that;s the natural arc anyway. Slightly steeper is probably better than 'Hit Down'.
The club actually travels under the ball and the ball is lifted on a wave/parcel of sand.
3. Don't try to help the ball out by lifting/flipping/flicking the club. That's almost the worst thing you can do.
4. Where you strike the sand differs for each type of sand. Softer sand = further behind the ball... And where you take sight and hit can be different places.

Best thing to do though is...
5. Find a practice bunker and practice!

Stuart_Wales

Assistant Pro
Visit site
1. Correct that you can't touch sand with club.
2. Hit about 2-4 inches behind the ball
3. Make sure you follow through

A quick tip on lining up aim to the left as 90% of bunker short go right due to body position.

If you are really stuck with bunkers have a look at a few online tutorial videos as they really helped me get some of the worse parts of my game tighter.

Thanks. Will get the practice in!

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Right, this is the only shot where I dont really have a clue, have very little confidence and usually costs me a lot!

Bunker Lesson with a PGA Pro. 40 minutes. 25 quid. Then practice - just half a dozen every time you go to the range or use the short game area. Job done. :thup:

I see so many high and even mid-handicappers who throw shots away because they simply don't have the correct technique. Seems a shame when so little effort and investment will save them more shots that all the latest balls, drivers and putters combined.

In my opinion there is no substitute for real life instruction and feedback as you are actually doing it. Might even have time to cover plugged balls and upslope/downslope shots too.

Good luck with it.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Only 1% of all shots played by County Golfers are greenside bunker shots - so please don't spend time on that at the expense of the important stuff highlighted above.

This is from a county union coaching page. Whilst it is aimed at good players the premise remains for all standards - your percentage of bunker shots is small so don't devote too much time to it.

A technique that gets the ball out 1st time is all you are looking for in the first instance.

I like the thought of the ball sat in the middle of a £5 note. The object being to slide the club under the note without touching it.