Bunker help!

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm in need of some help please chaps. Help with Bunkers. Urgently.

Apart from my putting, played well today, but my card was ruined on two holes by taking 3 to get out of some not too spectacular green side bunkers! Woeful. My confidence is shot and I'm at the point now where i take great lengths to avoid going anywhere near bunkers!

I normally use my 52 (12 bounce) or 58 (10 bounce) wedge to dig out of the sand, but neither give me any joy. I think I'm hitting too much sand first but not sure why. Any general pointers for bunker play, posture, swing etc. will be gratefully received!

Thanks

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks gents. I'll check out the vid too. I think I might be standing too open and I know I'm taking way too much sand, but not sure why. Plenty for me to practice.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
And imagine a (dollar) note around the ball then hit the note out from underneath the ball.

That only works in NZ. You have to hit a fiver here :)

I find Jeff Ritters Fold and Throw method works great:

[video=youtube;88g4a-2yIIE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88g4a-2yIIE[/video]

Last edited:

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
As I posted on another thred yesterday I use Gary Smiths linear method for Bunker play. Have a look at this vid and see what you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xeADahxxrE

Thanks for this link mate, just watched it now. Seems fairly simple! Some points I can take away and practice this week. Also watched a Mark Crossfield video that was nice and concise too.

Cheers!

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for this link mate, just watched it now. Seems fairly simple! Some points I can take away and practice this week. Also watched a Mark Crossfield video that was nice and concise too.

Cheers!

No problem. It takes a little practice but is easy to understand. Crossfield's buker video is very similar to Gary Smith's really but even more basic. For the vast majority of bunkers we will ever find ourselves in these 2 techniques will be fine. However in really deep bukers like on some links courses where a really high shot needs to be hit they may not be good enough.