'Bumping' your hips

DavidO

Head Pro
Visit site
Recently I have been strugglling with my irons, not able to get consistancy, or turning my hips too early and pushing my shot out to the right...

Tonight, I went to the local park and just practiced hiting balls. I was wanting to try and come at the ball from the inside more - which is something I need to do more at the range with my driver, anyway...

I started bumping my hips forward a little in my downswing, which seemed to give me the space to get the club on the inside and I was hitting some really nice wedges... is this something that is recommended for most shots? Next time at the range, i'll be trying it with the longer clubs - I'm hoping it will work!

Does anyone else do this?

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you start the downswing with the "bump" this will bring your weight on to your front foot which is where it should be. I think of it more as a slide into the hip turn.

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
It was something I had tried but not fully understood until I had a lesson a few weeks ago. I was leaving too much weight on my back foot and the angle of my back was wrong, causing me to flick my wrists at the ball. Now I feel that it's more of a slide (as Dave mentioned), and I like the feeling of it.

When I get it right I certainly gain a few yards and it generally goes straighter but I'm not consistant with it yet. I sometimes hit too much from the inside and a hit a shank, or time it incorrectly, but it's early days.

swanny32

Journeyman Pro
Tiptree, Essex - Where they make the Jam!
www.utilitywarehouse.org.uk
I have been working on this with my pro, it's quite difficult to master if you're not used to doing it but it definitely gives you that extra bit of room and starts the club on the inside. So far I only have the confidence to work on it on the range or if i'm out on the course having a friendly knock with some mates, daren't try it in comp as i'm still very inconsistent with it. The hip slide should be the first movement of the downswing.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
It was something I had tried but not fully understood until I had a lesson a few weeks ago. I was leaving too much weight on my back foot and the angle of my back was wrong, causing me to flick my wrists at the ball. Now I feel that it's more of a slide (as Dave mentioned), and I like the feeling of it.

When I get it right I certainly gain a few yards and it generally goes straighter but I'm not consistant with it yet. I sometimes hit too much from the inside and a hit a shank, or time it incorrectly, but it's early days.

Like anything new in the swing. It takes time, soon you will not even notice you are doing it (well most of the time) if your anything like me?

DavidO

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks folks. Yes, it's definately more of a 'slide'!!

I'll be working on this for the next while!

Presume it works the same for longer irons and woods?

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks folks. Yes, it's definately more of a 'slide'!!

I'll be working on this for the next while!

Presume it works the same for longer irons and woods?

Yes but the driver will feel a bit differant due to the wider stance. But it is the same.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I like to think of getting my right knee over my right foot, this makes the right amount of hip bump before the left hips starts turning back. If you focus on the hip moving and not the knee then you can start sliding forward and creating a whole bunch of problems.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I like to think of getting my right knee over my right foot, this makes the right amount of hip bump before the left hips starts turning back. If you focus on the hip moving and not the knee then you can start sliding forward and creating a whole bunch of problems.

EDIT:
Should have said left knee over left foot. Sorry for the error.