buffer zone??

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi experts,
I woulld be very greatful if someone could tell me what the buffer zone is concerning me(18 hc). I asked "Jeeves" but don't thimk he's much of a golfer!

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
In a nutshell a bufferzone is the amount of shots your handicap will dictate that you can go over your allowance before getting 0.1 back.
In other words, say you played of ten and you shot 11 over, you wont get cut as you are in the bufferzone. if you shot 14 over you would get 0.1 back on your handicap.
Bear in mind though that it is a sliding scale as the handicap goes up so a higher handicapper that gets a buffer of say, 3 shots, loses some of these as they continue to play well and go down to single figures.
Category 1: Golf Handicaps 5 or less Buffer Zone 0 to +1
Category 2: Golf Handicaps of 6 to 12 Buffer Zone 0 to +2
Category 3: Golf Handicaps of 13 to 20 Buffer Zone 0 to +3
Category 4: Golf Handicaps of 21 to 28 Buffer Zone 0 to +4
Category 5: Golf Handicaps of 29 to 36 Buffer Zone 0 to +5 Ladies Only....and smiffy.

Now over to the technical bods for a strangled and confusing description. :D

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
CSS matey iirc. If you shoot 2 over net and the rest of the entrants were found to shoot well under the handicap and this in turn decreases the css for the day by two shots (theoretically) you will be outside your buffer by a shot and you will get 0.1 back.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Because you are gaining rather than losing I suppose. Maybe thats just a local saying...I dunno, Im all out of useful answers for the night now. :D