Bryson testing 48 inch driver ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Funny thing is he'd be much better off with no drivers in there I think!
I believe Butch Harman, his coach for many years, wasn't far away from that thought either. He certainly wanted him to hit 3/4 strength drives, he has total control with them apparently. Not his style though.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I believe Butch Harman, his coach for many years, wasn't far away from that thought either. He certainly wanted him to hit 3/4 strength drives, he has total control with them apparently. Not his style though.
He has a massive fan base that loves watching him escape... would he be remembered for playing conservative golf?

Casey’s back nine was really good, only time he went for it he dumped it in the rough and struggled to a par

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
He has a massive fan base that loves watching him escape... would he be remembered for playing conservative golf?

Casey’s back nine was really good, only time he went for it he dumped it in the rough and struggled to a par
'Good old Phil'. I get that. Would he not rather be 8 Major Phil? Perhaps not.

It's his nature, drove Butch up the wall but that's the man.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

Talking of Butch, it was nice to see the little film of him talking about the venue. How he grew up there, his father being head pro etc.
'Twas a nice insight. I miss Butch's input on the telly

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

I think having come up agaisnt Tiger most of his career he was grateful for differentiator.

I think back in the day his driving wasn't too poor either. Now he is just embracing a care free style.

He's not gonna run out of cash anytime soon as he could probably dominate tour championships with a 5 wood u less Mr Woods gives it a bash in a few years.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe if they never had ball spotters with little flags to find their balls they might think twice.
Hitting it 400yds Over a dog leg where you can’t see it land might be different if you had to find your ball within 3 mins.
Just a thought not going to happen.
Like the manicured bunkers , there not hazards to these guys anymore.
They are aiming at them as their target, it’s more controllable than out the rough.
Goes to show just growing the rough won’t work.
So back to the ball I think.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe if they never had ball spotters with little flags to find their balls they might think twice.
Hitting it 400yds Over a dog leg where you can’t see it land might be different if you had to find your ball within 3 mins.
They are aiming at them as their target, it’s more controllable than out the rough.
Or make the hazards .. hazards ... famous quote about pot bunkers, was didn’t think much about them until I fell down one. So dig them deep and put the lips up. Plant gorse or some pretty thorny bush that you can’t play from. These guys will back off on the drivers ... except Phil of cause. We will still see some shots though. But the distance brigade will have an advantage with the use of higher loft. As you say wind the ball back reduce the mantles to 3 and let’s see what happens ...

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Maybe if they never had ball spotters with little flags to find their balls they might think twice.[/B]

Yes, but mind you, the round would take forever. All those 3 minutes!?
As you say not going to happen, but would be nice for it to be recognised that if it did, their rounds would be 5-10 shots higher.
I favour the bushes, before the ball, though the latter might pose less side effects ( like what it means to spectators)- on the basis that long and accurate should have a reward over short and accurate.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I think we are missing a few points... BdC wasn’t that inaccurate at those distances.
I believe he was ranked 30th in the field for accuracy with driver which is not that bad - one of the things that people like Justin Thomas commented on after the restart was that the distance he was hitting it didn't surprise them - the accuracy did.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I believe he was ranked 30th in the field for accuracy with driver which is not that bad - one of the things that people like Justin Thomas commented on after the restart was that the distance he was hitting it didn't surprise them - the accuracy did.
This is why I think the swing is fundamentally key, these guys can match him for distance but won’t for control

Chico84

Visit site
Exactly this - I said last week that the weakest bit of Bryson's games was his approach shots into greens - it wasn't this week, he was excellent at that.

I guess with people focusing on the driver aspect of his game they forget that he needs the next shot to be good too. One thing is for certain, whilst he’s been working on his driving distance he won’t be neglecting the other strategically important aspects of his game either.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rory certainly can, he was probably as far and even more accurate last week, just the rest of his game sucked.
Rory has a back issue and was out of sorts ... we are going to see glimpses and a short run of victories but not a sustained uplift in distance and results .... plus hasn’t he just become a dad? That really shafted my game ?

sunshine

Visit site
Rory has a back issue and was out of sorts ... we are going to see glimpses and a short run of victories but not a sustained uplift in distance and results .... plus hasn’t he just become a dad? That really shafted my game ?

Really surprised Rory played in the exhibition match yesterday at Tiger's new course. After being away for the US Open too. Maybe being a dad isn't going to have the same impact for him that it did for me (or you).

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Really surprised Rory played in the exhibition match yesterday at Tiger's new course. After being away for the US Open too. Maybe being a dad isn't going to have the same impact for him that it did for me (or you).
Hmm must be desperate for a good nights sleep... !