Bryson testing 48 inch driver ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Crap. He made the most up and downs during his major wins. He never played tee to green but could play driver knowing he could still scramble
Check his driving stats then - which showed him as Number 1 for several years! Here's a 'quick' find that refutes your inference that Driving wasn't a distinct advantage!
https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...fs-longest-hitters-until-the-sport-caught-up/
And to somewhat contradict both views... It's not really about specific parts of an individual's game, but about the overall 'package' - including scrambling!

Last edited:

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
His wedges need to be short as he needs them for chopping and hacking o_O.

I heard him yesterday and his interview was either enough to make an architect cry or make them determined to do him over. He didn't care about where his ball ended up, he knew he could get it close enough to then hack out with a PW or 9 iron. They have to start to make him care, as per The Memorial. It is in their hands, or the hands of the people who set the courses up for tournaments. What they must not do is simply make courses longer. That plays into his hands, makes for a very dull watch.

Absolutely spot on. Every word.

Maybe I’m a little old fashioned, but I think there’s something rather distasteful about a golfer adopting the rather one dimensional approach of simply trying to overpower a course. It suggests to me they lack the craft, creativity and imagination to think and plot their way round.

The day the pro game becomes all about power is the day I stop watching it. Dull, dull, dull.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Have you seen him play much?
15 majors I think I might have noticed a bit. He's always got it done when not playing well and his driving at some points wasn't good. Ironically he seemed to play better at an Open where he took irons off the tee. Places like Augusta (ok it is wider than other majors) but he could still scramble

Last edited by a moderator:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
His driving may have “sometimes not been good”, but never did he play with reckless abandon like Mickelson or Bryson.

Yes his short game was superb and saved many a par, but unless you’re chipping everything IN you aren’t gonna get the countless birdies he did without playing well tee to green. He’s renowned for being one of the best irons strikers ever, and that’s not for how he hits them out of the rough.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Crap. He made the most up and downs during his major wins. He never played tee to green but could play driver knowing he could still scramble

In 2000 the year of the Tiger slam.

GIR 1st

No doubting his scrambling skills, but go and look at the stats. very little covering the top guys whne it comes to getting up and down.

It's all there on the PGA website.

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've watch some of the long drive stuff on TV and the number of times they keep the ball in the grid is quite low and it is a much wider target than your average fairway. Fair play to him if he can make it work but you still need to get the ball on the green and into the hole.

But he's a golf pro. Most of these guys dont even play golf just long drive.

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Absolutely spot on. Every word.

Maybe I’m a little old fashioned, but I think there’s something rather distasteful about a golfer adopting the rather one dimensional approach of simply trying to overpower a course. It suggests to me they lack the craft, creativity and imagination to think and plot their way round.

The day the pro game becomes all about power is the day I stop watching it. Dull, dull, dull.

You think it's a American thing. All about these so called bombs..

More aimed at the American golf fans. Just want to see these boys bombing it all afternoon.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Bryson can hit it as far as he likes.
Further you hit it the straighter you have to be.
Is he good enough to take a double figure score on one hole and still win..?
Some weeks there won't be as big a penalty for being off line..
He's been doing this a while now and he's not winning much or dominating leaderboards
I think his body will cracked before he cracks golf.

D

Deleted member 16999

He's been doing this a while now and he's not winning much or dominating leaderboards
Totally agree about his body, but isn’t the whole point of him hitting it further is that accuracy doesn’t matter as he has the ability to get up and down from the bad lies.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
But he's a golf pro. Most of these guys dont even play golf just long drive.
H,mm. Jamie Sadlowski was/is a good enough all-round golfer to (at least aspire to) play on US Tours. Joe Miller played off 4 (at my club) until concentrating on LD. Both 2 times LD World Champs. Almost all others would have certainly got into LD through Golf, not simply decided to 'just long drive'.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Totally agree about his body, but isn’t the whole point of him hitting it further is that accuracy doesn’t matter as he has the ability to get up and down from the bad lies.
He doesn't have the ability to get up and down from bad lies though (yet) does he, worst bit of his game - if he did the panic that was everywhere about how he'd win everything would have been justified. He's won one minor tournament this year - he might have done that without the changes - he was pretty good anyway.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Up to a point
But hitting it wild, which we all do, and hitting it that long could put him in the next State let alone the next County..
Its fine when it works but get the angles off by a few and who knows....that's where the big numbers come in and he can't give the likes of DJ, JT, Rory and Brooks etc a 3 or 4 shot head start.
Not that he necessarily would, but imagine he goes for the green on the 13th at Augusta - going the Bubba route over the trees...get that wrong and he could rack up a sizable score..

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
His driving may have “sometimes not been good”, but never did he play with reckless abandon like Mickelson or Bryson.

Yes his short game was superb and saved many a par, but unless you’re chipping everything IN you aren’t gonna get the countless birdies he did without playing well tee to green. He’s renowned for being one of the best irons strikers ever, and that’s not for how he hits them out of the rough.
Finally Phil is mentioned.. he pretty much missed nearly all the fairways, last night. He has been the ultimate exponent of bomb and gouge for all of his career. But Phil’s short game and recovery is incredible to watch. But I did find myself muttering ffs Phil hit the cut stuff ... mind you he might get too much spin.
To re visit the tiger discussion, his game wasn’t based purely on distance, it was pure striking and an ability to manipulate a ball. There is no way with the clubs that he started his elite amateur and early pro career could you stand up and swing out your boots without actually understanding how to manipulate.
There are a lot of pros now who are just thrashing and the big heads are so forgiving, admittedly their miss hits are pretty confined, compared to the amateur but even so the skill level has been degraded.
BdC, interesting to watch, theory is his strategy decision.. worked okay, but some of his chips/pitches were the touch of an elephant.. I still enjoyed watching it though ( big shout out to the link ??????)
Tony Finau, is interesting he is just long as well, and is slipping under the radar as BdC gets all the attention !

DJ in the divot was interesting... shows what a stupid rule that is and these boys rarely get impacted but when they do they also suffer.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don’t think he will break his body with the golf swing, the mechanics are less stressful than a conventional swing. The gym stuff will do him over and his diet isn’t particularly healthy... and that’s coming from a man who enjoys cold pizza for breakfast and who’s idea of a pack lunch was a pack of 6 donuts.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A quick Google shows that BDC won $3.1m in 2019. So far in 2020 he has won a lob wedge under $5m. That is a tidy increase plus I bet his sponsors are very happy with his increased exposure.

He might not be winning every week but he is doing very tidily indeed. Now this year has been odd so maybe he won more as some did not play but he has still done pretty well, sadly, with this new method. Maybe he would have won the same or more playing as he had done previously but he is clearly someone who likes to tinker and this is his current experiment. I agree with Pauldj42 on this, he is shortening his career with this approach and he will pay a price down the line. I can't see him playing in the seniors tour in years to come.