Bryson testing 48 inch driver ?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I think he will win more with this method.

He might also miss more cuts, but when it goes well he score better. He seems determined to win at all costs. I admire that instead of havi g a paycheck career like Kuchar or Finau for example.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
When bryson hits a mile up the left side he has a bit of a plan. He knows which side is best to miss and more often than not gets away with it as there is some strategy involved.

Big phil may know where is best to miss but he hasnt a clue where the ball is going off the tee the majority of time.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
When bryson hits a mile up the left side he has a bit of a plan. He knows which side is best to miss and more often than not gets away with it as there is some strategy involved.

Big phil may know where is best to miss but he hasnt a clue where the ball is going off the tee the majority of time.
Well he does, it's fore left every time isn't it?? :LOL:

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

I feel his pain.

D

Deleted member 16999

He doesn't have the ability to get up and down from bad lies though (yet) does he, worst bit of his game - if he did the panic that was everywhere about how he'd win everything would have been justified. He's won one minor tournament this year - he might have done that without the changes - he was pretty good anyway.
Up to a point
But hitting it wild, which we all do, and hitting it that long could put him in the next State let alone the next County..
Its fine when it works but get the angles off by a few and who knows....that's where the big numbers come in and he can't give the likes of DJ, JT, Rory and Brooks etc a 3 or 4 shot head start.
Not that he necessarily would, but imagine he goes for the green on the 13th at Augusta - going the Bubba route over the trees...get that wrong and he could rack up a sizable score..
As Imurg has put, he has the short game “to a point” and being 9th currently in the World I’d suggest it’s top notch.

The fact is though he doesn’t go wild on every tee, he will be doing it on courses and holes were he believes it will give him an advantage, it’s the care and attention he puts in to all aspects of his game, hence the knickname.

A few weeks back when he won and was hitting drives in to areas and cutting corners that others weren’t doing, it was because he’d been doing that in the practise rounds.

The longer shaft (if he uses it) will only be in play on a course were he believes it will help him.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Bryson has gone from being Yawn-Fest to Box-Office, surely we all want to see characters and excitement in the game?

He wasn't just given massive (golf) length one day, he's worked extremely hard for it.

All he's doing is experimenting to an extreme nobody has done before, it may or may not work but it's compulsive viewing, for me anyway.
Yeah good luck to him. I'd much rather watch him trying something different than the usual journeyman stuff.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

He certainly did not yesterday. It was quite sad to watch at times last night. His powers of recovery were impressive but off the tee he was utterly random.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Out of interest, how would you define a conventional swing ?
Would you say it’s more like Ian Poulter/Fred Couples or someone completely different?
I look at the hand position initially but a single plane swing where you set yourself for impact is at this time unconventional. You can see how far BdC sets his hands away from his body, so as he swings he isn’t trying to clear obstructions and his back isn’t going through any compress or dip it looks like a straight twist... but having said that his knees could get shagged as he was really pivoting and if his lead foot digs in .. that force has no where to go. But otherwise this is a good lesson in keeping yourself in good nick, I have been keeping my hands clear and my plane may be 2 but the difference is small, and my back has been fine without me having to go to yoga and watch these bankers wives.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Notwithstanding he looks like he could be just about to deadlift 500kg before he launches a drive, Bryson actually has a really nice looking swing when they slow it down.
He's also 9th in putting (on the PGA Tour?) they mentioned just now.
Lots of videos online comparing him to Moe Norman and the one-plane stuff. Maybe part of the reason he swings like that is not just repeatability but also as it's less damaging physically? Who knows. And yeah he definitely putts well with that ugly armlock thing. I think he even said as part of this interview that I saw that as long as he can get out the rough onto the green, he backs his putting to make the putt from anywhere.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Would you say it’s more like Ian Poulter/Fred Couples or someone completely different?
Simpler to 'define' BdC's 'rather different from the norm' swing as 'Single Plane' - like Mo Norman's 'One Plane Swing' - with his own particular quirks (his feet cf Mo's). There are individual quirks in all swings, but BdC is definitely 'different' in a specific, and deliberate, way.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Notwithstanding he looks like he could be just about to deadlift 500kg before he launches a drive, Bryson actually has a really nice looking swing when they slow it down.
He's also 9th in putting (on the PGA Tour?) they mentioned just now.
Driving and putting he's very good (notwithstanding the fact he's having a bad day) - what surprised the rest of the pros wasn't that he could hit it that far - it was the fact he was hitting fairways at that distance when they first came back from lockdown - he's not been great with irons given how close he's been to greens - give any of the top 20 iron players the distances into greens he's had when he's hit fairways and they'd be ripping it up - he might yet.

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
H,mm. Jamie Sadlowski was/is a good enough all-round golfer to (at least aspire to) play on US Tours. Joe Miller played off 4 (at my club) until concentrating on LD. Both 2 times LD World Champs. Almost all others would have certainly got into LD through Golf, not simply decided to 'just long drive'.

Sorry I mean as pro as in top 50 in the world.

I know a few of these guys play a bit and are awesome to my level. Kyle Berkshire in fact plays off +2 I think does loads of vids this last while on the course.

In fact he was saying in one that in LD he uses a reg flex. And when on the course it's a xxx I think it was..

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

I love Fred Couples swing but it sure isn't a conventional swing. When you see it analysed, he sways, he has a strong grip etc.
Patrick Reed, Thomas Detry, are the conventional swings.
Lovely third day of US Open coming, Reed v De Chambeau.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I have no issue with Bryson doing what he's doing. He has worked out how to gain an advantage and appears to be executing well.

But it does seem that hitting it long is a huge advantage, to the extent that nearly every tour level player has to average well over 300 yards on the holes that allow you to play that length of shot. There are a couple of 'shorter' hitters who can still compete, but really they have very little margin for error and have to be supreme long iron players to have a chance. These guys would also have v little chance of getting onto tour these days, given the scoring required in the Korn Ferry tour.

Personal view is that the USGA / R&A will be working out how to effectively regulate equipment so that distances are reigned back a bit. Of course the longer hitters should still have an advantage, but there should be a bit more jeapordy about taking Driver and landing in 5 inch thick rough. However in the current game there is not, because even on a 500 yard hole the guys are only 125 yards from the front edge of the green and can still hack it on and make a 2 putt par.

Have a greater premium on accuracy, course management and iron play and hopefully we will see a few more tortoise and hare type battles as well as see a few courses that we might not have seen for a while.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I dunno, I thought they were all a bit desperate in their quest for distance at the US open. Reality is if they wound back the distance and played for the fairway, the scoring would be better. They are may be using more loft but the spin levels are lost due to the rough. Playing from those fairways would be a delight and the amount of control would be far greater. I mean 7 iron is a scoring iron at a 180 yard+ For these guys, it’s not impossible .... a 500 yard par 4 is still well within range for a birdie