Brickendon Grange, Herts - anybody played it?

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi guys. Am heading down south on Thursday coming to stay with my cousin in Hertford for our twice yearly comp. He's trying to organise a day ticket at Brickendon Grange for the Friday, with a view to playing 36 holes. The photos on their website don't really do much to 'sell' the place, so just wondered if anybody on here had any first hand experience of the place?

Cheers.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Played there many times when I was younger Del but havent played there for probably 10 years. Its a pleasant enough well established parkland course without being anything special, usually in reasonably good nick except when wet as it tends to get a bit boggy but shouldnt be an issue this friday!

If he cant get on there may be worth trying Essendon (think now called London and Hatfield country club), they have 2 courses and im told a fair bit of money been spent on the place of late. Otherwise nearby the pick would be Hanbury Manor, East Herts and Brookmans Park though availability/cost may be an issue with any of them

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback, Fundy. Have heard him mention all of the ones you've named, so will see where we end up!

Thanks again mate.

rob2

Head Pro
Visit site
Played Brickendon a couple of times last year and it was a great track. I would definitely class it as one of my 'hidden gems'.

We got a crazy offer, something like £25 for a round and lunch and it felt like we had robbed the place. I would go back there in a heartbeat.

Rob

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Brickendon is a pleasant enough members course, as said before it can get wet but you should be fine, quite a few shortish dog legs, its an easy walk so 36 not a problem.

Mid Herts is better (Gustard Wood Wheathampstead), wouldn't give you the time of day for Hanbury, East Herts is good too.

Chadwell Springs used to be a great little 9 holer, but not sure what its like these days.

Welwyn garden city is in great condition just now, not sure you could play 36 holes this Friday tho' as its 5 day members finals day.

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ok guys. Thanks for the recommendations/feedback.
We're playing 27 holes at Brickendon on Friday and 18 at Essendon Old Course on the Saturday afternoon. Might also manage a cheeky 9 at Chadwell Springs on Saturday morning, if it's still open. Played it last year and the year before, but heard they were closing it down to build a golf academy instead??

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Enjoy Del :)

Chadwell Springs was my first club many years ago, used to have the best greens around, to the point where the likes of Ken Brown used them to practise on. I thought someone said it had gone bust a few years back, must have been wrong (claim to fame had a putt on the last for 29 there!)

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Chadwell Springs is still open (as of 3 weeks) ago, they do have planning for a range/academy, it looks a bit tired and not sure of course condition but should be ok for a quick 9. Agreed years ago the greens were fantastic, as it sits on chalk it drains beautifully. Enjoy your weekend