Boxing/UFC 2018-24

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Kevin Lee is so frustrating to watch. Dude has everything, and anyone that's trained with him says as much but he just has these performances where he just doesn't show up. Both fights with Iaquinta, the mauling by Ferguson, but then you get beautiful performances like the one vs Barboza. He could be so good, I just wonder how much the weight cut is taking out of him, would love to see how he performs at 165.

Talking of Barboza, holy *** that fight was brutal to watch, especially as a fan of Dan Hooker. God damn he's tough, but probably too tough for his own good. I've seen some brutal stuff in MMA - bone breaks, horrible cuts, one-sided beatdowns but this was something different. It felt like Hooker could end up seriously hurt at points in this fight and should definitely have been stopped sooner, he shouldn't have been let back out there after round 2. Barboza was hitting him with the most brutal bodyshots I've seen in MMA over and over again, it was horrible to watch, Hooker was barely defending himself. God knows how he must be feeling today!

Then - Canelo made the easiest $30m of his career. That DAZN deal is sweet business for Canelo if Fielding is the level of opponent he's going to be given.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm really struggling with the events surrounding Jon Jones this week. I've read a fair few reports and opinions appear divided. In effect the UFC seem to be saying that the traces found in his system are from an occasion he's already been punished for. However, others refute this as a possibility. Cormier and a few others are slating USADA. I'll definitely watch as it should be a good fight (their first was amazing). However, whether is should happen is another question. Jon Jones has legitimate claims to being the best ever. Unfortunately, the controversy he attracts (and cheating) taints his standing.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I'm really struggling with the events surrounding Jon Jones this week. I've read a fair few reports and opinions appear divided. In effect the UFC seem to be saying that the traces found in his system are from an occasion he's already been punished for. However, others refute this as a possibility. Cormier and a few others are slating USADA. I'll definitely watch as it should be a good fight (their first was amazing). However, whether is should happen is another question. Jon Jones has legitimate claims to being the best ever. Unfortunately, the controversy he attracts (and cheating) taints his standing.
Should have had a lifetime ban.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Pretty clear isnt it, UFC desperate for him to fight irrelevant of whats going on, theyll take the box office receipts and worry about the consequences later. Having to move the fight out of Vegas is really really damning for me

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Very damning and could have a lasting effect on the promotion. I don't fully understand the science, but for me, if he is still getting an advantage from current of previous doping - he shouldn't be cleared to fight. For the UFC to basically say they can arbitrate doping levels is surely setting all they've tried to do to legitimise the sport back x amount of years? Expected from White as he wouldn't want to lose the card but Novitzky is rightly getting called out.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Very damning and could have a lasting effect on the promotion. I don't fully understand the science, but for me, if he is still getting an advantage from current of previous doping - he shouldn't be cleared to fight. For the UFC to basically say they can arbitrate doping levels is surely setting all they've tried to do to legitimise the sport back x amount of years? Expected from White as he wouldn't want to lose the card but Novitzky is rightly getting called out.

Same old from White isnt it, says one thing but his actions tell a very very different story, taking the short term gain but storing up much bigger problems in the long run and undoing most of what theyve done over the last decade or so

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Unbelievably shady goings on. This supposed pulsing effective of TBol has never been discovered before and none of the so-called experts Dana and Novitsky are claiming are informing them are willing to go on the record supporting them. Seems pretty obvious to me Jones is micro-dosing turinabol and getting away with it.

Another interesting tid-bit - Jones tested positive for 8 picograms of Turinabol metabolites on 29/08, 19 picograms on 18/09 and then funnily enough a few days later in September the UFC announce they're no longer going to publicly announce failed drugs tests. Funny that.

The UFC are *** over all of the other athletes just to cater to a blatant drug cheat that will be stepping into the octagon with it being proven he has an anabolic steroid in his system. The responses to questions at the Press Conference were a joke. I honestly believed the UFC were trying to clean up the sport when they got USADA involved but the events of the past week have been so shady it really makes you wonder about the credibility of the whole process. Jones is allowed to fight with 60 picograms of Turinabol in his system, Tom Lawlor got a 2 year suspension for having 17 picograms of Ostarine in his system. The rules depend on who it is that is failing.

Also interesting that the card has been moved to a state under the jurisdiction of Andy Foster, the same guy that refused to release the drug testing results for UFC 145. Results were released for 143, 144, 146, 147, 148, you get the idea. Wonder why the 145 results weren't released.......

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I played this morning and there was a conversation about the issue in the bar afterwards. So, like the McGregor bus incident before it, UFC and MMA is brought to the forefront of the general publics (non fans) consciousness for all the wrong reasons. All were of the opinion Jones should be banned or at least pulled until more was known. An interesting point was made that if, God forbid, Gustaffson was seriously injured could Jones be legally punished? In my mind it raises questions on if White, the UFC and the Californian State Athletic Comission could be held liable.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cyborg-Nunes was incredible, an absolute war from the first bell. What a fight, Nunes is the best female fighter we've ever seen.

Found it difficult to watch Jones-Gus. Could just tell Gus didn't have it in him to win and it was a matter of time before Bones took him out. Would love to see DC knock him out, but I just don't see it happening, and not sure I can stand the heart-break again. So torn. It is such a shame he's such a terrible human being, he's possibly the best mixed martial artist there has ever been, his resume is about as good as you're going to get.

Also shout-out to Ryan Hall, that heel hook was a piece of art, beautiful technique.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I mean *** , he should win! Dude starts with a head start everytime #usadafake #jonnybrasco

Daniel Cormier’s tweet👆

Nunes is nails 👊🏻

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Gustaffson wasn't really in the fight and it certainly didn't live up to the first one. Not sure if he was planning on coming on strong in the championship rounds after he fatigued in 4 and 5 in their last fight. Was a comfortable night for Jones in the end. Personally, I hope Cormier doesn't give him the fight he is angling for at LHW. Cormier looks better at HW and seems to possess more power there. Ideally Jones will move up (although he's intimated he won't) and DC will knock him out.

Nunes was too quick for Cyborg. Landed some absolute bombs and effectively bullied the bully. Great show of class and sportsmanship afterwards. A rematch is surely in the cards.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Holy Floyd. Merked Tenshin inside a round, knocking him down multiple times, Tenshin barely landed a punch. That was brutal.
Mayweather is a true all time great and shouldn't be involved in events like this - regardless of what he's being paid. Apart from said money, what else can he take from this? He'd already hamstrung the young kickboxer. Was never going to be a competitive boxing match.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Mayweather is a true all time great and shouldn't be involved in events like this - regardless of what he's being paid. Apart from said money, what else can he take from this? He'd already hamstrung the young kickboxer. Was never going to be a competitive boxing match.

Can you blame him for doing it tho?
€9m 🤷‍♂️

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site

The money is exactly why he's doing it though, he needs it. He might have earned a ***-ton but he spends it like a moron so is constantly running out. He'll back back in a Boxing ring in 2019, I have no doubt.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
The money is exactly why he's doing it though, he needs it. He might have earned a ***-ton but he spends it like a moron so is constantly running out. He'll back back in a Boxing ring in 2019, I have no doubt.
Is he down to his last $500m?

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
He's ridiculously lavish, had to pay millions to the IRS, supposedly has a crazy gambling addiction, his "businesses" haemorrhage money and are glorified toys for Floyd, has been sued a number of times for large sums, and more importantly he's not the smartest knife in the draw and admittedly can barely read. There's a reason why Floyd "retired" but still kept his name in the news, flirted with the UFC for some kind of hybrid fight before ultimately taking this fight with Tenshin, he's not doing it for the joy of competing, he's doing it because he's scared of ending up broke. Mike Tyson made $700m in his Boxing career, he's broke; Evander Holyfield earned £350m and he's broke, it's not how much you make, it's how much you keep, and Floyd isn't keeping a lot of it.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
He's ridiculously lavish, had to pay millions to the IRS, supposedly has a crazy gambling addiction, his "businesses" haemorrhage money and are glorified toys for Floyd, has been sued a number of times for large sums, and more importantly he's not the smartest knife in the draw and admittedly can barely read. There's a reason why Floyd "retired" but still kept his name in the news, flirted with the UFC for some kind of hybrid fight before ultimately taking this fight with Tenshin, he's not doing it for the joy of competing, he's doing it because he's scared of ending up broke. Mike Tyson made $700m in his Boxing career, he's broke; Evander Holyfield earned £350m and he's broke, it's not how much you make, it's how much you keep, and Floyd isn't keeping a lot of it.
You’d think when they get down to their last £100m they’d think
🤔 maybe I should chill out abit 😂