Boxing/UFC 2018-24

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
We don't have a boxing/UFC thread. I don't follow UFC, only boxing, so let others talk about UFC!

I thought the Khan fight showed why he's past it. Against an average Mexican/Canada he looked average. Yes, had some speed but was put on the seat of his pants once, and was saved by the bell the other time. Brook v Khan would be interesting but should have happened a few years ago not now that they both been exposed as second level world fighters. Not sure why he wants to fight Manny...not of interest to this viewer.

GGG v Alvarez coming up this weekend 15 Sept. Alvarez stole a draw last time and then was caught meaning he was suspended for a while. GGG could be over the hill? Looking forward to this and personally want to see GGG win.

Joshua v Povetkin 22 Sept. Another boxer with a questionable history. If AJ boxes properly and at distance, he should win. Dangerous though was Pov will come forward and look for the one punch. Winner of this I can see fighting the winner of Fury - Wilder, if that fight gets made.

Thoughts on this and other bouts coming up?

Last edited:

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Khan looked dreadful. Not sure why anyone would want to pay to watch him fight Pacquiao at this point. I'd watch the Brook fight but wouldn't pay for it.

Looking forward to Fury-Wilder, hope it gets booked.

As for the UFC. We have some crazy exciting fights coming up soon.

Manuwa vs Santos
El Cucuy vs Pettis
Sugar Sean's return
Oezdemir vs Smith
Poirier vs Diaz
Brunson vs Adesanya
Rockhold vs Weidman

and then the big one Khabib vs Conor - ridiculously excited for the next 2 months of fights. 229 and 230 look insane. Excited to hear the main-event plans for 230 as well. DC kept very quiet when Rogan and Anik were saying they knew something we didn't during the 228 broadcast. DC-Jones 3? DC-Bork?

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
What a fight Canelo-GGG was. Easily the best boxing match I've watched for a long time - two incredibly closely matched warriors going at it, was so good. There aren't many fights I want to go back and re-watch straight after it's done, this was one of them. Incredibly hard to score though, those calling a robbery are so wide of the mark when so many of the rounds were swing rounds that could have gone either way. I had it 6-5 GGG with one round (the 4th) a 10-10 but many of those rounds for GGG could have gone the other way, same with the ones scored for Canelo. I'd love to see them go at it again personally, has the makings of an ATG rivalry.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
What a fight Canelo-GGG was. Easily the best boxing match I've watched for a long time - two incredibly closely matched warriors going at it, was so good. There aren't many fights I want to go back and re-watch straight after it's done, this was one of them. Incredibly hard to score though, those calling a robbery are so wide of the mark when so many of the rounds were swing rounds that could have gone either way. I had it 6-5 GGG with one round (the 4th) a 10-10 but many of those rounds for GGG could have gone the other way, same with the ones scored for Canelo. I'd love to see them go at it again personally, has the makings of an ATG rivalry.

I haven't seem any of the action, nor have I seen any of the first fight, so I can't offer any opinion!! Happy that this fight was subjective, rather than the first fight scoring farce. If there is a third fight, you can bet it won't be in Vegas!

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well worth finding and watching if you've got time - drop me a PM if you need a link - unbelievable fight. Didn't watch the first one so can't comment there but the 2nd was unbelievably close!

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Hearn is no mug, think he will have AJ v Whyte in April (with rematch clauses as necessary).

No venue announced yet for Wilder v Fury.
Can't see AJ v either before 2nd half of 2019

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Hearn is no mug, think he will have AJ v Whyte in April (with rematch clauses as necessary).

No venue announced yet for Wilder v Fury.
Can't see AJ v either before 2nd half of 2019
Think i read on the BBC site that AJ is booked in to fight at Wembley on 13th April next year

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't know anything about UFC , so can someone who does tell me what the issue is with Conor and his next opponent please? Only asking as heard Conor on the radio the other day saying he would of killed the bloke if he had the balls to step off the bus.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Conor's team-mate and best friend was cornered by Khabib and his crew backstage before the Al Iaquinta fight and Khabib slapped him. Conor heard about it and being the loyal maniac he is, he immediately flew out to New York to retaliate.

AJ looked alright, had the fight even 3-3 going into the 7th with Povetkin doing particularly well early on. Worry for AJ taking on Wilder, he was getting hit with some shots and you don't want to get hit by a swinging Wilder, he hits like a truck. Another win though - hopefully we'll see him face the winner of Wilder-Fury as his next fight early next year and not Dillian Whyte.

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Conor's team-mate and best friend was cornered by Khabib and his crew backstage before the Al Iaquinta fight and Khabib slapped him. Conor heard about it and being the loyal maniac he is, he immediately flew out to New York to retaliate.

AJ looked alright, had the fight even 3-3 going into the 7th with Povetkin doing particularly well early on. Worry for AJ taking on Wilder, he was getting hit with some shots and you don't want to get hit by a swinging Wilder, he hits like a truck. Another win though - hopefully we'll see him face the winner of Wilder-Fury as his next fight early next year and not Dillian Whyte.

Cheers for that mate. So ref UFC what's the score with Lesnar? I only know him from WWE so do people from that industry make good fighters in UFC?

Sorry for the simple questions but as said don't know a lot about UFC

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheers for that mate. So ref UFC what's the score with Lesnar? I only know him from WWE so do people from that industry make good fighters in UFC?

There’s not a hard and fast rule for all, depends on the background. Lesnar has an incredibly impressive amateur wrestling background, which is one of the key disciplines in MMA and the base for a number of top MMA fighters. Couple that wrestling with his size and strength and you’ve got a formidable fighter.

Brock has fought in the UFC previously with some success. Won the belt beating HOF’er Randy Couture, beat Frank Mir and got through a tough fight with Shane Carwin. He ran into serious issues with Cain whose striking gave him problems, as did his relentless MMA wrestling. Then Brock had issues with Diverticulitis which ended his MMA career after a brutal loss to Overeem. He’s over that now and picked up a solid win over Mark Hunt at UFC 200. He’s supposedly taking on DC for the heavyweight title but has gone quiet on that front recently so not sure if it’s been booked yet!

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

Lesnar was a bit of a freak show and not the greatest fighter IMO. Yeah he won the title but his one trick seemed to be bulldozing someone over, then sitting on top of them for 5 minutes while trying to bash their head in (Google "ground and pound"). Cain Velasquez proved he didn't like getting hit which doesn't really help in this sport :LOL:
Wasn't there some doping violation as well? I'm not sure, I lost interest not long after Lesnar as UFC seems to have tried to turn itself into WWE with violence.

D

Deleted member 15344

Was impressed with Joshua last night , his oppo clearly had quick hands and was capable of throwing good punches which Joshua seemed to soak up , but he stayed calm and just kept picking him off and then finished with pure quality. It was a nice professional win and another win under his belt. I was also impressed at the mutual respect the both had for each other during the fight and after when Joshua went into the guys locker room to chat to him - Joshua is a breath of fresh air compared to the dribble you see and hear from Fury and others.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
On the undercard of the AJ show, there was one of the worse bouts I’ve ever seen, the British cruiserweight fight between Okolie and Askins. Words cannot describe how poor it was.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
On the undercard of the AJ show, there was one of the worse bouts I’ve ever seen, the British cruiserweight fight between Okolie and Askins. Words cannot describe how poor it was.

Out of interest - did you watch CM Punk vs Mike Jackson? That is far and away the worst professional fight I have ever seen, it was embarrassing that it was on the main card of a UFC PPV.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Great performance by Joshua last night and showed he could take a decent punch and boxed to a plan to inflict a first stoppage on his opponent. Joshua v Wilder is the one most people want (as does Joshua) so why can't they get it on.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site

This week is the big one. The biggest fight of the year - Conor vs Khabib. So excited for it, there's nothing better than fight week for a McGregor fight. I'm really torn as to how it's going to go, Khabib's grappling is so damn strong and he's ragdolled everyone he's been in there with other than Gleison Tibau who he struggled to keep down but still won the fight unanimously - although both commentators strongly disagreed with the decision at the time. He's also been cracked by Michael Johnson and wobbled so there are openings, just not many of them. Conor hits differently to Johnson though, and he moves a lot differently to Barboza. He's not going to move backwards in a straight line and allow Khabib to close him down, Khabib's going to be getting hit with shots on the way in, and Conor's kicks will play a huge part in this fight. The sharp teep kick to the body will be a huge weapon for Conor, allowing him to keep Khabib at distance. It really could go either way but I'm hoping my guy McGregor can get it done again and take back what's his.

Rest of the card is stacked as well. I think Ferguson-Pettis is going to be special. Ferguson has been a different animal in the gym since his injury. Has stopped drinking, and has a whole new outlook on training so I'm expecting a superb performance from him. He has a tough fight on his hands though - Pettis looked like 2013 Pettis again in the fight with Chiesa, absolutely mauled him.

Also - have really enjoyed the Fury-Wilder press conferences this week. They've been hilarious, Fury on top form. Excited for that fight!

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I haven't seem any of the action, nor have I seen any of the first fight, so I can't offer any opinion!! Happy that this fight was subjective, rather than the first fight scoring farce. If there is a third fight, you can bet it won't be in Vegas!

Had some free time just now, so searched YouTube for the GGG v Canelo fights. Watched them both back to back and without sound. I had GGG winning the first by 2 rounds as Canelo didn't do enough when he was on his bike. Fight was closer that I thought it was going to be. The second was supposed to be closer and split, but I thought GGG won by 3 rounds. Canelo didn't run so much and had his head pinned back a few times. Can't make a case for Canelo, imho, for either fight. Interestingly, Canelo looked far more cut in the first, seemingly showing the fruits of his drug misdemeanour!

D

Deleted member 15344

Oh dear - seems UFC has played right into the hands of the stereotyping

Shocking scenes after the fight - fighters going into the crowd to attack people , a fighter getting attacked by a trainer. The sport is shocking and this just adds to it