Boxing/UFC 2018-24

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Wasn't go pay the money but decided to play a bit of poker until the start of 4:00am and listen to TalkSport.

Ended up being 5:00am start.

But I loved it - reminded me of listening to the Ali fights on the radio under the bedclothes when I was a nipper!

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As everyone has said, amazing fight. Fury was phenomenal. He’s a divisive personality, but surely anyone who anyone who has seen the fight appreciated his performance.

That extra weight appeared to take its toll on Wilder, who boxed better this time around but tired after the 4th. Got to give him credit for playing his part. That right hand remains a problem no matter how long the fight goes. What a finish though - definitive this time, which I’m glad about. Assuming Wilder continues, I have no idea what’s next for him. He’s failed to beat Fury three times now. Joshua wouldn’t fancy that and with his lack of head movement could be a much easier target than Fury.

It will be interesting to see what happens now in the heavyweight division. Will Whyte finally get his chance? Will Fury look to unify against Usyk? Or will it be a mega pay day against Joshua? I think Joshua/Usyk have scheduled the rematch so we might not see Fury for a while.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
As everyone has said, amazing fight. Fury was phenomenal. He’s a divisive personality, but surely anyone who anyone who has seen the fight appreciated his performance.

That extra weight appeared to take its toll on Wilder, who boxed better this time around but tired after the 4th. Got to give him credit for playing his part. That right hand remains a problem no matter how long the fight goes. What a finish though - definitive this time, which I’m glad about. Assuming Wilder continues, I have no idea what’s next for him. He’s failed to beat Fury three times now. Joshua wouldn’t fancy that and with his lack of head movement could be a much easier target than Fury.

It will be interesting to see what happens now in the heavyweight division. Will Whyte finally get his chance? Will Fury look to unify against Usyk? Or will it be a mega pay day against Joshua? I think Joshua/Usyk have scheduled the rematch so we might not see Fury for a while.

Nice summary.

Fury has shown the blueprint to beat Wilder, so if Wilder ever faced Joshua, then Joshua would have to get in close and throw some leather. If he stands off like he did versus Usyk, then Joshua is out cold in a few rounds, no doubt. Joshua has to get through his Usyk rematch and still have big doubts that he will because of his rigid style.

Something tells me Fury isn’t that interested in fighting Usyk, certainly not yet. Not because he’s avoiding, just that it’s not a selling fight. So I think you may be right in that Fury won’t be in action for maybe a year, once he sees how other fights pan out.

Whyte is an interesting one. He has had patches of looking great but also looking bang average. He has earned his shot. Perhaps a scrap with Wilder is the most appealing. Has to deal with Wallin in a few weeks to maintain his standing and really he should do it.

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
If Wilder fancies it there are interesting match ups out there. You'd fancy his chances against Joshua & Whyte.
Should Wallin win then Fury should meet him to take away that doubt of the docs letting him continue with that gash. Agree Fury is likely to wait and see how things pan out.

4LEX

Visit site
What a perfromance from Fury.

Forget the other non entities and let's get a spring Fury v AJ bout.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Nice summary.

Fury has shown the blueprint to beat Wilder, so if Wilder ever faced Joshua, then Joshua would have to get in close and throw some leather. If he stands off like he did versus Usyk, then Joshua is out cold in a few rounds, no doubt. Joshua has to get through his Usyk rematch and still have big doubts that he will because of his rigid style.

Something tells me Fury isn’t that interested in fighting Usyk, certainly not yet. Not because he’s avoiding, just that it’s not a selling fight. So I think you may be right in that Fury won’t be in action for maybe a year, once he sees how other fights pan out.

Whyte is an interesting one. He has had patches of looking great but also looking bang average. He has earned his shot. Perhaps a scrap with Wilder is the most appealing. Has to deal with Wallin in a few weeks to maintain his standing and really he should do it.
I agree, Whyte has earned his shot and would love to see him against Wilder. As per your post, Fury’s blueprint for Wilder would be right up Whyte’s street. I don’t think you can say he has a suspect chin, but he was cleanly KO’d versus Joshua and Povetkin. I would fancy Wilder landing at some point and taking the victory. I don’t know much about Wallin, other than his fight with Fury, but expect Whyte to get through that.

I also agree about Fury being in no rush to face Usyk. Like you, I don’t think it’s anything other than him wanting the biggest paydays. If Joshua somehow wins the rematch with Usyk (however unlikely that is at the moment), you’d assume there’d be a rubber match. This could tie them two up for 12-18 months. Not sure if Fury will hang about that long.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Glad the trilogy stuff is done and dusted, it dragged on a bit.
AJ is or will lose always his first fight, I don’t think he is dynamic enough to switch up his strategy he needs a first fight to correct. However saying that Usyk is no Andy Ruiz and I think AJ should retire if he loses another fight with Usyk

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Masvidal v Edwards looks like it’s going to happen in December.
Expect lots of trash talk before this one.
My moneys on Edwards,I don’t really rate Masvidal.