Boxing/UFC 2018-24

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I thought the Miocic/Cormier rubber match delivered the correct result, although I had it by only one round. I was a bit shocked at how apparently easily Miocic controlled Cormier against the cage, I think that that was the main differential. Both rocked the other. The eye poke looked significant, but Cormier can’t really moan after what he’s got away with over the years. I like Miocic and wouldn’t put it past him finding a way against Ngannou, like he did in their first fight.

I will miss Cormier though. Not everyone’s cup of tea but he has had an awesome career. Check out his resume. Ridiculous level of competition at both LHW and HW. Of course, he’ll be remembered for losses against Jones and Miocic. No shame in either - both will be regarded as legends. As will Cormier.

It was a shame what happened to O’Malley. I think the UFC were lining him up to be one of their poster boys. However, looking back at it, Vera May have caused the damage to the leg, so perhaps the ‘injury’ is clouding his performance against a highly touted opponent.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Back to boxing.
So far, can't really view Whyte as a top heavyweight but do commend him for keeping active while he's been nbr 1 challenger and the shenanigans have scuppered title shots. Another potential banana skin tonight.

P.S. I wonder if the mods or thread starter can amend the thread title.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Back to boxing.
So far, can't really view Whyte as a top heavyweight but do commend him for keeping active while he's been nbr 1 challenger and the shenanigans have scuppered title shots. Another potential banana skin tonight.

P.S. I wonder if the mods or thread starter can amend the thread title.

Done.

And I agree with your first statement.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As predicted Khabib controlled the fight and got the submission. Not a great fan of the style, but has there ever been a fighter so capable of imposing their will and controlling fights? Not overly shocked at his retirement following the death of his father. He could still be tempted back in sure for some super fights - for super money.

Gaethje will come again. Didn’t take any real damage. Bad refereeing again to miss the tap. He displayed a bit of class afterwards (they both did to be fair). Gaethje V McGregor would be good to watch next.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Looks like a slugger vs. skill contest in the heavyweight boxing tonight.
Smart money looks to be on Usyk, and it may give some clues to how far he could go in this division.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looks like a slugger vs. skill contest in the heavyweight boxing tonight.
Smart money looks to be on Usyk, and it may give some clues to how far he could go in this division.
Interesting to see how Chisora boxes. He has a 3 stone advantage so may maul Usyk and get in close. Prediction. I think Uysk wins by KO in 6...my record in fantasy football says get your money on War!!!

Interesting to see how Chisora boxes. He has a 3 stone advantage so may maul Usyk and get in close. Prediction. I think Uysk wins by KO in 6...my record in fantasy football says get your money on War!!!
I had uysk wining 8-4 but he wont beat fury or aj. Was expecting uysk to look a lot better as chisora is quite poor

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had uysk wining 8-4 but he wont beat fury or aj. Was expecting uysk to look a lot better as chisora is quite poor

I thought it was an easy nights work for Usyk. Chisora was ok at best and there was a massive difference. Sky BO was a touch OTT towards Chisora and his performance IMHO.

Fury won’t lose sleep but AJ, imho, would struggle with Usyk. It’s not that long ago AJ got sparked by a Mexican unknown.

Usyk did pull away second half but chisora is far from world level, just cant see usky getting away with a slow start against fury or aj. Even against tony bellew he started way too slow. Fury and aj will stop usky if he starts that slow .

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well I hadn't expected that finish. Hopefully a few of the pundits will retract their comments or apologise for them in view of the news today.

was clearly unable to see and badly affected by the final shot, but expect he was struggling long before that with it, never looked comfortable after it swelled up the first time :(

hard to see him being the same again, if he even fights again :(

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
was clearly unable to see and badly affected by the final shot, but expect he was struggling long before that with it, never looked comfortable after it swelled up the first time :(

hard to see him being the same again, if he even fights again :(

He was always struggling once it started to close but to stop in the way he did there was obviously something up. That something was a fractured eye socket and nerve damage. It was disappointing the pundits, some of whom were ex boxers, didn't pick that up but labelled him a quitter.