Bounce options - confirm I am correct

m10johnson

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm looking at purchasing some new wedges.

I don't fully understand bounce, but believe I know enough and have come up with these selections.

50.08 - approach shots from around 110 yards
54.11 - approach shots from around 75 yards
60.04 - bunker and flop shots around the green

I wouldn't say I'm a complete sweeper off the top of the fairway, neither do I hit hugely steep like Bubba does, just a short shallow divot.

So with this in mind, would you say that my selections are about right?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Although bounce can be coupled along side a swing style (Sweeper, digger etc) it should also mirror the conditions of your course(s) you play on the most.

Some useful info here:

http://www.golfbidder.co.uk/golf-advice/520/golf-club-bounce-angle-buyers-guide.html

Edit:

60.04 from a bunker, IMO, isn't enough bounce. If you're a slider I would take a lower bounce 54.08 from the fairway and a 60.10.

I'll stay away from the "Drop the 60* wedge" argument for now :mad:

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
gives you a range of options, and in the case of the 60.04 a club to play from hard packed non-sandy bunkers (which never seem to exist on TV but appear increasingly frequently in real life!).

m10johnson

Head Pro
Visit site
Normally are bunkers are fairly fluffy.

Fairways are so soft in winter, but normally pretty firm in the summer. I think my current 58 has 10 degrees of bounce.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Er no.

your current set up looks ok.

I would plump for 51/52 gap wedge with little bounce, goof of tight lies and with little bounce easy to open the club.

Sand wedge 56 with at least 10 deg of bounce or more if the sand is really fluffy. You want to explode you bunker shots and you need bounce for that. i play at a links course with very deep pot bunkers and i don't feel a need anymore loft than 56 deg.

and if you really feel you need a 60, little bounce.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
ive gone for

52-08
56-11
60-08

a low bounce 60 on a wet soggy course is a recipe for disaster! ive just ordered two new vokeys 52 and 56! cant wait to get them!