Bobmac, is there a putting cheat....

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
...to figure out if my shoulders are square?

and...

If you're reaching down with the right hand does it make the shoulders open slightly?

thanks in adv... :thup:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I know I'm not Bob, but....

I've always thought that the 'left hand low' made my pendulum action much simpler. Just never been able to get on with it - and I've tried quite a bit!

Stop thinking so much and just stick the (e/d) thing in the hole!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
A mirror, patio doors or even better, a video camera.
Just film yourself down the line setting up to the ball.
Failing that, when you put your right hand on the grip, think of the right shoulder dropping not opening to take the grip

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My recent putting thread about posture has a bearing on this too

If you find your hands sit away from your shoulder line it is harder to control the rock

Since changing to a longer putter ( 35" ) and standing more upright i checked my positions in the mirror and now find my hands are sitting nicely below my shoulders

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
...to figure out if my shoulders are square?

and...

If you're reaching down with the right hand does it make the shoulders open slightly?

thanks in adv... :thup:

Easy Peasy with a V-easy ...
Stick the V-easy through one arm of your polo shirt across your chest and out through the other arm.
Put a club on the ground parallel to the line you want to putt
It shows a couple of things :
- 1) if you are grossly misaligned with your shoulders
- 2) how much you rock your shoulders during the swing as opposed to turning (your hips) through the putter swing

PS I'm not Bob either ...

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
And answering the second question, Peter thomson used to say that you needed to take the club/putter with your left hand, and then tilt your shoulders to the right, and then bring your right hand under and up to the grip - in order to not open your shoulders when taking your grip

There's a nice practice gizmo that Pelz promotes called "Elk's Key" (!) which is a mirror on the ground, alignment lines and orthogonal putter face lines. Shows whether your shoulders are parallel to target line, whether your putter face is open (and whether your eyes are above the ball if you go for that)