Bobby Jones

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Swings as out dated as the equipment they are using, and the clothing they are wearing.

Anyone with a modern swing would be bombing it past them.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Swings as out dated as the equipment they are using, and the clothing they are wearing.

I think you are very wrong there. Especially in the case of Hogan who competed for far longer than Jones in tournament golf.

Both have records that suggest they would have had careers that would / could have eclipsed Jack and Tigers Major hauls if they’d played post war when the 4 majors were established and their was no cross over of the events.

They are both genuinely 2 of the top guys to have picked up a club. I’m fairly certain that both would have had the necessary skills to adapt to modern equipment & win a LOT of golf tournaments.

Wolf

Visit site
I think you are very wrong there. Especially in the case of Hogan who competed for far longer than Jones in tournament golf.

Both have records that suggest they would have had careers that would / could have eclipsed Jack and Tigers Major hauls if they’d played post war when the 4 majors were established and their was no cross over of the events.

They are both genuinely 2 of the top guys to have picked up a club. I’m fairly certain that both would have had the necessary skills to adapt to modern equipment & win a LOT of golf tournaments.
Completely agree with this.

Jones technique was clearly very fluid and whilst he may be playing hickories here I think he would have been more than capable with modern equipment.

Hogan for me is one of the best ball strikers the game has seen, he used steel shafts with tiny bladed irons so him transitioning to modern irons would be a breeze and his accuracy with a Persimmon headed driver would have easily made him even better at finding the centre of the face on a 460cc headed driver, plus that swing just repeats over and over again. Jack Nicklaus has lauded him as the best ball striker he's seen and Tiger has even said nobody has owned their swing like Hogan. I think if you got 2 players of that calibre speaking of him like that then if he were around now he could easily play the modern game.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site

Are you trolling?

Look at the likes of Cameron Champ and his swing is very much like Bobby Jones, they're just more athletic these days, the swings are far from outdated and there's been more and more players moving back to a more 'traditional', free-flowing swing.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Between 1923 and 1930, Bobby Jones entered 20 major championships and won 13 of them, culminating with the Grand Slam — the 1930 British Amateur, British Open, U.S. Open and U.S. Amateur. A lifelong amateur, Jones played only in spurts while also collecting degrees from Harvard (literature), Georgia Tech (engineering) and attending law school at Emory, which he left early to take (and pass) the bar. He retired from championship golf at 28 and went on to practice law. He founded and helped design Augusta National.

Hoganman1

Visit site
Ive always held the opinion that Bobby Jones would have been the greatest ever golfer as he achieved so much in such a short time .
I truly think that if he was around playing today he would be held in the the same light as Tiger and Jack.
I think he is held in the same light as Tiger and Jack by some, but you're right. Had he continued to play competitively into his 30s and 40s who knows what his record might be