Bitter? You could say so.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played for the first time in a while with the mid week guys today. Didnt hit it well as is usual right now but managed to get it round in 38 points lipping out on 18th for 39 and missing 3-4 other genuine birdie puts.

I know that sounds a bit arrogant but i genuinely am proud of how i battled a score out of very average ball striking.

I know I should not be bitter but I ended up losing to a guy who is well known for "managing" his handicap and who played in a "selected" 4 ball when the rest of us played with who we were drawn with. They also left a 2 ball and 3 ball at the end of the group rather than split their chosen partners.

I am miffed for all the above but also because he refused to put his card in for handicap!

Perhaps I am just bitter because I havent played well for ages and just dont like getting beaten but it just felt wrong somehow?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I bring you back to my argument of how by getting 0.1 for every no return players like this can get away with increasing their handicaps. If there was no increase, players would be more inclined to complete the competition and get 0.1 legitimately and may then play a good round as per tonight and have to put the card in.

It also smells fishy that he gets to play in selected groups. I knew a guy reputedly off 4 at my old club who would always play with a couple of senior seniors. He'd blast the ball to all parts and by the time they had played and got up to him it would always be in a good spot in the rough or if he was in the trees there would always be a shot. In the end several members followed him and saw the leather wedge and the hole in the pocket being used.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is what happens when there is a clicky group in a club. Everything gets arranged for their benefit. The rest of us have to grin & bear it. We all know in there is cheating in these clicky groups when they know no-one is in their group to object. Not to mention they are usually in with the Captain & the Secretary of the club too. This I've experienced for myself.

I've also seen people carmly NR their card even after an apparently good round, usually when they know theirs is good, but not enough to win.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Yep, this sounds fishy.

Have a similar moan about club matches. A list went up for a popular away match, and my name was first on the list. When the team was picked, I was on the sheet, but it was then taken down after 2 days, and a different team was selected. When 2 people scrubbed, I went to the general manager to ask if I was a sub, and was told no. I had a go at him, and was then 3rd sub. Luckily some one pulled out, and I got in.
Talking to some of the guys at the match, turns out a couple had gone to the gm, to pull a favour, and get in the team, even though their names had not been on the list, and the spineless git pulled the list. Not happy about that at all.
The gm is new, and if this is his style, he can shove it.