Bit confused about shaft flex

colint

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was fitted for my irons, regular KBS shafts, seem perfect.

I have a regular shaft in my driver and hybrid, seem OK to me although some of my drives do seem to suddenly die sometimes (not ballooning up and die, nice flight and then parachute time).

I've never considered a stiff flex, but have a stiff Titleist fairway on loan and I'm nailing it, just feels more steady and solid.

Is it possible to be better off with different flex's in different clubs or should you aim for consistency across the set ?

Screwback

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Is it possible to be better off with different flex's in different clubs or should you aim for consistency across the set ?

I dont think you need to keep shaft flex the same throughout your set. i have everything from regualr shafts in my wedges to x stiff shafts in my irons and stiffs in my woods.

Its just what works for you if it goes well it goes well regardless of spec.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Presuming you have steel in your irons, it seems perfectly possible that any flex of graphite (R or S) might suit you in woods. I wouldn't worry.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Regular and stiff mean different things in different shaft brands. A stiff graphite in your Titleist may actually be very little different to the regular KBS. The label 'stiff' or 'regular' may be misleading. KBS are fairly firm, and many standard stiff graphite shafts are a bit soft. Don't worry about a mongrel set of flexes.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I was tinkering with getting the KBS shafts in some I15's but I read on their website they are aimed at lower/tour players so I think I will stick with the AWT's.

My Serrano's are firm but regs

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure that can be right as the R9's have KBS as standard and they certainly aren't aimed at lower/tour players

The KBS in the R9 and R9 TP are different weights. The R9 use 90g shafts and the R9 TP use heavier Tour shafts (110-130, depending on flex).

The 90g Regular should be playable by most decent mid-highish handicaps, but the Tours are pretty firm and are probably better suited to lower handicappers with decent swing speeds.

Mike_j_golf

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi,
Most people swing a little harder with there woods so u may only need a regular in your irons but may need a stiff in your woods.
Mike

T

thecraw

Parmo,

the standard Ping AWT shaft is good enough for Lee Westwood, I'd imagine its good enough for the rest of us choppers!

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Not sure that can be right as the R9's have KBS as standard and they certainly aren't aimed at lower/tour players

Really?

Designed for better players, the KBS Tour shaft was engineered with ‘moment of inertia analysis’ to increase stability from ‘grip to clubhead’ to enhance the results of well-executed swings. By reducing the mass and radius of each step in equal proportions along the shaft’s center line, the KBS Tour shaft delivers optimum stability resulting in efficient energy transfer from the player’s hands to the clubhead. In addition, the KBS Tour shaft incorporated step-by-step Moment of Inertia analysis to reduce shaft ‘interference’ during a player’s well-executed swing.

KBS Website