BillyG - Golf and Life

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hello Gmers,

Been out of circulation for a while and thought I would just check in,catch up and wish you all the best.

Ten weeks ago my mother was diagnosed with advanced stage inoperable cancer and as you can imagine things have not been quite the same since. Amongst other things Ive become a carer, an organiser and a clearer thinker for all of that.

We have both decided not to know how long we have (why put an extra ticking clock over your head right?) but intend to make the best of what time remains by filling it with love, laughter and calm. Weve made a firm decision not to 'do' anger, regret, recriminations and sorrow -what's the point? it won't change a thing.

Why title the thread golf and life?

Well, between running around and doing all the things you might expect one has to do when such a bombshell goes off in your life, ive made the time to carry on swinging a club.

Ive found a peace and focus that ive always sought with the game and it remains , as perhaps it was always meant to be, an escape, a respite and above all a fun thing to do when you want to let the worries of the world slip by for an hour or two.

Biggest lesson of all for me is that you have to laugh and have fun when you can- life is just too damn short not to.

I hope you all have a good autumn season

regards

bill

flandango

Head Pro
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your news Billy admire your way of dealing with it and your outlook on life. Glad that you have found a focus for you as i'm sure you need it from time to time.

I wish you and your mother the very best for the future!

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My best wishes to your mother and yourself. A little bit of advice i would give you is take all the help and support you are offered.

Yes your are right life is to short, so make the best of what you have.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
So sorry to hear about this mate. Hope you have a great time and really do enjoy your time with you mum.

As for the Golf, good work, you will enjoy the game much more!

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
billy,

Went through this with my Dad last year, just one thing to add as you two are doing all the right things - don't leave anything unsaid.

keep strong

DCB

Visit site
BillyG

Sorry to hear this Billy. Been there with my dad some years back. Make the most of your time with her. Please take time to talk to her while you can. It's one of the things I miss about my dad, not being able to talk any more.

Regards

DCB

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
BillyG

Sorry to hear this Billy. Been there with my dad some years back. Make the most of your time with her. Please take time to talk to her while you can. It's one of the things I miss about my dad, not being able to talk any more.

I can relate to this also. My Dad was diagnosed with cancer and the time passed so quickly.
Live life to the full and don't waste a minute.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Sorry to hear the bad side of things but your attitude towards it is wonderful and refreshing.

I have been through similar experiences with grandparents and it certainly makes you value life.

Bill, if you fancy an away day you are more than welcome to join me on the Links anytime.

The_Squire

Head Pro
Visit site
My thoughts are with you and your family BillyG, I have been through it myself with my dad and I miss him everyday. Talk and laugh with your mum as much as you can and as for your thoughts on golf they are spot on.
God Bless.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Like many others on here went through it with my dad. Was only just over a year from diagnosis to him passing away but we made the best of the time we had together and I was fortunate enough to be there when he died. Got to say my goodbyes which really helped. I mentioned in my article in GM that my only regret was not playing more golf with him, but we made sure we said everything that needed saying.

I admire your strength courage and resilience and hope that whatever time you and your mother have together is filled with fun love and meaning and that she isn't in too much pain. You are an inspiration and I salute you

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Yes Bill. At times like this you wonder why we get so upset about 3-putting or fluffing a chip. Puts things into perspective, as they say.
Best wishes
Shanker

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can only send my condolences. I lost my grandmother to inoperable cancer earlier this year, others have obviously gone through it as well so I am sure there will be a lot of help and support on here should you require it. Best wishes.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've found a peace and focus that ive always sought with the game and it remains , as perhaps it was always meant to be, an escape, a respite and above all a fun thing to do when you want to let the worries of the world slip by for an hour or two.

billy...so sorry to hear the news. Your comment (above) is why we all do it....is it not? In the midst of bad things and a heavy heart, it's good to give yourself some "you" time and I wish you luck.

time_vans

Head Pro
Visit site
you have a wonderfully positive outlook and wish both your mum and yourself the very best. sadly along with many others understand only too well what life is like for you at the moment...my wife and myself lost our dads within twelve months of each other in differing circumstances...her dad succumb to cancer after a lengthy illness but my dad dropped down with a massive stroke and that was it....no chance to say all those things i should have said when he was alive.....4 years on and not a day goes by without a tear.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
You have a great outlook Billy, my wife works in oncology & palliative care and always brings me down to earth when trivial things get to me.

Enjoy each moment Billy and I wish the family all the best.