Biceps compact to chest or relaxed and loose

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Which method is correct for the swing, tops of arms nipped in compact to chest such as Ben Hogan or relaxed and not touching chest ?

In my attempt to keep my left arm straighter i feel that biceps nipped into chest provides a straighter left arm than using a relaxed feel

What do you guys do ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
When?

'Connection' is the (woolly?) term that covers this (I believe).

Relaxed - as opposed to tensed - is good in my book too. There does have to be tension in a golf swing - otherwise nothing would happen - but incorrect tension (normally excess) is a killer of the swing.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mine is very tight to my chest. As i have a one plane swing it has to be tight as important turning..its promoted for this swing type.
As Foxy says...I think its connection your talking about.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
My pro wants me to puff out my chest and really keep my arms in close. He says it'll feel horrible and tension-full.

However, all these things are about what you are used to. Get used to this, and after a while, you can do it relaxed....

...apparently...

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My pro wants me to puff out my chest and really keep my arms in close. He says it'll feel horrible and tension-full.

However, all these things are about what you are used to. Get used to this, and after a while, you can do it relaxed....

...apparently...

Hi guys

Yes connection is the correct wording, it appears that connected is preferred over not connected ( armsy )

All this without tension as well ......

Has anybody worked on this recently and found better results from a connected biceps to chest in take away to backswing

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Has anybody worked on this recently and found better results from a connected biceps to chest in take away to backswing

Me? :)

Clearly I hit it better connected with the arms in close. Coupled with better posture generally....and Yes, I'm trying to improve my pathetic left arm too.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I like the arms to sit infront of the chest at address with the elbows close together and their outsides pointing towards the hips (Just Like Ben Hogan suggested in 5 lessons). This creates the long narrow triangle formed between the arms and chest that if maintained helps so much with consistency.

When this triangle is set at address the upper arms are connected to the chest but don't need to be pulled tightly. To return the clubface back to the ball consistently so that you can strike it in the sweetspot the maintenance of the triangle with the upper arms connected is important. OK, the right arm will have a degree of bend until just past impact but the relationship will stay intact and the swing arc radius will be kept at it's optimum.

Last edited: