Better weight shift

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I found today during a short range session that when i did the following my distance increased, ball contact was better

1. Lifted front foot heel in the backswing

2. Felt i was moving more across to my back leg i.e more weight to the back leg ( not a sway )

I have read before that lifting the heel allows for a better shoulder turn for less flexible people

Seems to work ? !

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I dont belive a weight shift actually gives power, its the big back muscles and a move through to a balanced finish that does. Ive learnt golf from 3 different pros not and none have ever even hinted at a weight shift, they always talk about the back muscles instead.

I use this method:

60/40 lead foot address, turn rather than shift any weight as this promotes a more natural build up of energy and then finish 60/40 and balanced.

You should feel as if you go 60/40, 40/60, 60/40 with your weight but in reality you are using your back muscles to generate power and moving through to a balanced finish.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I found today during a short range session that when i did the following my distance increased, ball contact was better

1. Lifted front foot heel in the backswing

2. Felt i was moving more across to my back leg i.e more weight to the back leg ( not a sway )

I have read before that lifting the heel allows for a better shoulder turn for less flexible people

Seems to work ? !

It's only good so long as you plant that heel back down and get the weight moving to the front foot through the down swing.

If you can't get off your back foot through the swing a whole manner of shots will occur, and 99.9% of the time, not the one you wanted :mad:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I dont belive a weight shift actually gives power, its the big back muscles and a move through to a balanced finish that does. Ive learnt golf from 3 different pros not and none have ever even hinted at a weight shift, they always talk about the back muscles instead.

I use this method:

60/40 lead foot address, turn rather than shift any weight as this promotes a more natural build up of energy and then finish 60/40 and balanced.

You should feel as if you go 60/40, 40/60, 60/40 with your weight but in reality you are using your back muscles to generate power and moving through to a balanced finish.

Problem is that if your weight stays on the back foot in the downswing the big muscles will encourage you hitting fat and thin. You are correct that the weight shift on it's own will not produce power, it does deliver that power more effectively though.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Problem is that if your weight stays on the back foot in the downswing the big muscles will encourage you hitting fat and thin. You are correct that the weight shift on it's own will not produce power, it does deliver that power more effectively though.

Totally agree, the weight should never stay on the back foot, hence the 60/40, 40/60, 60/40 feeling

Personally I go more 60/40, 50/50, 60/40 and I can hit a 3 iron over 210 yards and my 3 wood popped over 240 three times today.