Best way to approach buying new clubs

Fore

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi All,
i am looking to buy my 16yo son a new set of Irons.
He seems to have set his mind on a set of Mizuno MP52's at the moment.

I would like to go the whole hog and get him custom fitted as i do not believe he will get much taller and the selection of shafts available for these clubs is quite staggering that i would like to know we have selected the correct one for his swing speed etc.

So do you feel custom fittng is worth it at his age or should we get just his swing speed analysed at this point and select the shaft to suit, which means we could shop around for the best deal, or go to a main stockists which does the fitting service and be held to ransom over whatever they wish to charge. Or is there another way of aprroaching this?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Personally I'd wait for C/F not so much from a height perspective but from a bulking out (muscle mass) viewpoint. Also I find that demo days give you a chance to try different models and specs out usually with a monitor fixed up and with a knowledgable guy (not an American Golf shop assistant knowing nothing).

I would try and get him to try as many different makes and models as he can as although he might have his heart set on Mizuno because of the name and how good they look he might actually hit an MD, Benross or Cally/TM better.

I know I had my heart set on a set of Cally X tours but having gone to a Cally demo and trying them out in every spec I realised it was my swing and not the club (ego is a powerful thing) and so had to put that idea on hold big time.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
So do you feel custom fittng is worth it at his age
Probably worth it if he plays well. Although chances are you'd be looking to replace them in 18months or so.
They're nice clubs so let's hope he looks after them :D