Best value premium leather golf glove - expectations v reality?

mikseymono

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi team......

Nothing beats the feeling of slipping on a new leather golf glove. For me, most are quite similar for the first round but it is in the subsequent rounds that the quality and feel show them selves. By far the nicest feel was the Vice pure but was always a little smaller than the claimed 'same size as others top models' and the stitching fell apart after one round. This has happened to two I bought. The Callaway Dawn patrol was a good fit but became slippery after three rounds and has lost its grip. Titliest players has been good for me and no problems with stitching falling apart.

Having got all my kit and happy with balls etc...I can see the only investment throughout the year would be gloves as that nice tacky feel tails off considerably after about three rounds.

So the questions are:

In reality, knowing the pro's change their gloves during the same round....maybe 3 per round?.....am I expecting too much if after three rounds the glove looses its tacky feel?
What gloves are you using?
What would be the best value/longevity?

Thanks,

M

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Titeliest or TM Tour (the latter the best fitting) keep their feel longest, Srixon are the best compromise in terms of cost and lasting at an acceptable level - all IMO obviously.
I get through around 8 gloves a year before my grip faults eventually wear holes in the thumb and or palm.
I did try the one recommended by Jobr in a thread early in the year and it was great fitting and quality, but lasted badly. Super thin and beautiffuly soft just don't go with grip faults🤔

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is there a particular reason you stick with full leather options if they only last a round or maybe two? That just seems so cost ineffective to me. Footjoy Weathersof feels great and lasts a good six months.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is there a particular reason you stick with full leather options if they only last a round or maybe two? That just seems so cost ineffective to me. Footjoy Weathersof feels great and lasts a good six months.
They may feel great to you but for me they, and most similar products, are simply too thick and effectively add dimension to my club grips. They also lack the inherent stickiness of quality cabretta.
As you say they last very well though...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
They may feel great to you but for me they, and most similar products, are simply too thick and effectively add dimension to my club grips. They also lack the inherent stickiness of quality cabretta.
As you say they last very well though...
Ok. I just wondered if the difference in feel was enough to favour a couple of rounds of use vs six months of use.

Genuine question, in the description for the Weathersof they say it has a "Soft Cabretta Leather palm patch and thumb" - so I would have thought that would make it not far worse than a full leather glove for grip?

mikseymono

Assistant Pro
Visit site
yes...they are not bad....but no where near as good as a brand new Titleist Players for example.....for me...TBH I loved the instant feel of the Vice Pure but it is just too small and quality is a bit random.....just wondered if there was a known full leather product out there that lasts a lot longer....I would use 6 gloves minimum a year....so almost £100 with postage........

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok. I just wondered if the difference in feel was enough to favour a couple of rounds of use vs six months of use.

Genuine question, in the description for the Weathersof they say it has a "Soft Cabretta Leather palm patch and thumb" - so I would have thought that would make it not far worse than a full leather glove for grip?
Firstly you get a lot more than a couple of rounds from a quality cabretta glove.
Second, it's the patches that add to the thickness overall and, for want of a better description, the feeling you are wearing a glove! The thinner & softer the better.
Grip isn't often the issue with synthetic.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
yes...they are not bad....but no where near as good as a brand new Titleist Players for example.....for me...TBH I loved the instant feel of the Vice Pure but it is just too small and quality is a bit random.....just wondered if there was a known full leather product out there that lasts a lot longer....I would use 6 gloves minimum a year....so almost £100 with postage........
I was in Costco last weekend and saw they were doing a three-pack of Kirkland leather gloves quite cheaply. Unfortunately they don't seem to be on the Costco website so you might have to go to a Costco, if you're able. They come out with a good review from here though: https://mygolfspy.com/best-premium-golf-gloves-of-2019/

They rate the Ping Tour glove most highly, if you're not worried about grabbing a bargain. It also says the leather is slightly thicker, which they list as a 'con' but might be helpful for you to not wear through it as quickly.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I always liked the Srixon Cabretta golf glove and could get a lot of use out of it. I now have Callaway Cabretta I got from CostCo at something like £16+VAT for three. Good gloves and good value.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
To me anything other than a Cabretta feels like a welding mitt. Personal Fave is the FJ Cabretta, seems to be able to combine a decent level of life with nice feel.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Keep an eye out for deals.

I managed to pick up the FJ Cabrettasof 3 for 2 earlier in the year. Managed to get 3 of the gloves for £26 as they were £12.99 each which made them good value, my pro shop was selling them for £20 each

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I used to use the srixon cabretta but in recent years it seems the price has gone up and the quality down.
I find the TM synthetic all weather glove pretty decent. As good as the srixon ever was .

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just ordered
I have these on permanent Watch. Not quite as long as some 'Big Brand' ones but certainly long enoug and miles better value. It's only the grip area I care about - so a decent chunk of Big Brand gloves are 'waste of leater and money' for me.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-JL-Golf-100-cabretta-leather-gloves-Size-MEDIUM-LARGE-Mens-Excellent-grip/400963970006?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Their synthetic gloves are also great value - and slightly longer too.

Just ordered some of these, worth a punt at the price.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was in Costco last weekend and saw they were doing a three-pack of Kirkland leather gloves quite cheaply. Unfortunately they don't seem to be on the Costco website so you might have to go to a Costco, if you're able. They come out with a good review from here though: https://mygolfspy.com/best-premium-golf-gloves-of-2019/

They rate the Ping Tour glove most highly, if you're not worried about grabbing a bargain. It also says the leather is slightly thicker, which they list as a 'con' but might be helpful for you to not wear through it as quickly.

I get the Callaway gloves from Costco, great quality 3 in a pack for £16 with VAT.

Sid Rixon IV

Head Pro
Visit site
I recently paid £15 for a Footjoy glove from my Pro and teased him I could get 2/3 from Sports Direct at that price.
It lasted about 6 games before the little finger split on the inside of the finger.
I got it replaced but my Sports Direct gloves have lasted longer.