Best short game drills

Shakey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm definitely no 'expert' and the best tip I've got is an old chestnut, but that's never stopped me before!

Basically, it's knowing exactly how far you hit each club with each swing type. for example, hip to hip swing with a sand wedge: 60 yards........full swing: 90 yards. etc for each club. I know we should know with every club, but it's particulary key on short clubs.

When the weather is more sensible, I'll be out there with headcovers on the yardages, logging my yardages in my mental database.

Sorry, I'm sure you wanted more astute replies than this, but maybe noobs (like me) will find it vaguely useful!!

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This one came from Karl Morris. Go to your chipping/putting green set yourself Three easy, Three medium and three hard chances of getting up and down in two. They should be a combination of putting and chipping, every time you do it you have to record your score.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
if you have a mate with you. choose a large enough green. each take 3 goes to see who gets the closest. loser collects the balls. the little bit of competition keeps it fun. winner picks the next position. continue till its dark!

dandpl

Club Champion
Visit site
Experts, what are the best short game drills for really sharpening up your skills?

Ok Here are two I made up and my French friends here call them "Torture"

Take 9 balls to anywhere on the putting green. Putt each to a different hole. Then putt out. 2 points fo a one putt, 1 point for a 2 putt, -1 point for a 3 putt. Maximum possible (18 pints ha ha ) . 10 points is realy good. thought I was good till I tried this!

Chipping/pitching same idea, drop 9 balls anywhere you want off the green.Chip/pitch each to a different hole usin whichever club you wish for each shot. Then putt out. 2 points if you chip/pitch in 1 point for each up and down and -1 point for each that you do'nt get up and down. 8 points is good for me.

I like these routines because they duplicate somewhat what happens on the course and the pressure builds as you begin to reach your maximum score.

Try them and keep score, let me know how you do.

dandpl