Best Rugby Player You Ever Saw

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Blatant thieving of Homers idea here but I have seen so much more Rugby than Football so here goes.

Best I saw,Barry John. My dad took me to see him play at Llanelli and for his last game at the Arms Park.Got no words to describe the elegance and beauty of his game. His feet never seemed to touch the floor. People will still cross the road to touch him,a god.

Best I played with or against Elgan Rees. Had it all except luck,he had pace,grace,talent,killer instinct. He is the ultimate expression for me of "better to be lucky than good".

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
What a hard question. Need to think about this and get back to you.

My favourite player of all time is Scott Gibbs but he is no way the best I have ever seen.

Best I have played with / against are James Hook + Henson.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have been fortunate to see more high class rugby than I have football (more than 12 test matches at Twickenham as well as others at different grounds, 6 Heineken cup matches at various venues and quite a lot of premiership fixtures at Adams Park) and Jonny Wilkinson was immense in his prime but the player that stood out the most for me? Tana umanga for New Zealand in his last test match v England (can't remember exactly when but fairly recent) at Twickenham is the best I have seen from a player at the event and also Francois Steyn was unbelievable for his age at the autumn internationals the year before last. Best player I have met would have to be Martin Johnson.

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Richie McCaw for the All Blacks in 2004 - absolutely dominated the pitch against England.

From a personal point of view , Jeremy Guscott for his fluid almost effortless running.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
For sheer never say die tenacity it would have to be Martin Johnson (followed closed by the legendary Lawrence D). For technical ability Pichent (?) of Argentina or from my very early days David Duckham of England. Also shouts to Rob Andrew and Gareth Edwards

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a season ticket at the Tigers so have watched almost all of Martin Johnson's career and for sheer guts and determination none could be better. Also played against him a couple of times as I used to train with Tigers development when I was at uni.

Another one who scores highly in the determination stakes is Neil Back. Having been told for years that he was too small to represent England he developed into one of the best link up flankers that I have seen.

As a front row forward, however, my award would go to Jeff Probyn. That man was an expert in the 'dark arts' of the front row and used to put his opposite number under all sorts of pressure.

As a group, however, I would also vote for the Wrold Cup winning squad. In all my years watching England play any sport, they are the only team that I was confident they would win any given match.

mackenzie

Medal Winner
Visit site
For pure talent, make-the-crowd-laugh-with-disbelief flair, professionalism and class as a human being - has to be Jason Robinson.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Henson is the real thing Nico, he is world class and will be starting every test match for the Lions in South Africa.

As for the best player I have ever seen =

J.Lomu, not very skillful or talented but the impact he had on world rugby is second to none.

My lions backs are looking like this at the moment =

9 - Peel / Phillips
10 - Cipriani / Wilko
11 - S. Williams / Simpson Daniel
12 - Henson / Darcy
13 - Tait / BOD / Shanklin
14 - Dont really know, no stand out players, YET....
15 - Byrne / Murphy. (Please god not Balshaw)

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I dont really follow Welsh club Rugby closely any more and my first sight was when visiting my Dad a few years back.

Henson didnt even play the first half then started at full back and moved to fly half,he dominated the game and looked awesome,won it on his own.
I said to himself who the heck is that! My old man hates him and called him a show pony but he just looked like he had it all,power,pace,great hands,could tackle and kick like a mule!

BTW,dont bother looking past The King for the best ever,the man is a god.

Wilf

Club Champion
Visit site
3 best I've seen are as follows, not really any need to elaborate, names say it all

Christian Cullen
Jonathon Davies
Jason Robinson

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
From the modern era has to be Brian O'Driscoll, I go to a few Leinster games adn the man is terrific every game, maybe not in the flashy parts of the game but for a centre he gets down and dirty an is always looking to steal the ball in the tackle.

As a kid I got to see Tony Ward in his prime-he was a superb player.

International i was lucky to see the 1991 World Cup winning Aussie team beat Ireland in the quarter final and for me both Campese and Lynagh shone on that day.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
maybe not in the flashy parts of the game but for a centre he gets down and dirty an is always looking to steal the ball in the tackle.

100% agree with you, him and Darcy in the centre is like having 2 more wing forwards on the field. Shame Darcy is missing that extra 2% otherwise they would be a great lions centre partnership.