Best matchplay comeback

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
I played in our club singles, 4BBB and foursomes matchplay this past summer. For the first time, my doubles partner took me on cos everyone else thought there was no hope lol.

In our foursomes we decided I would tee the odd holes and my partner the evens. This seemed to be against the norm as I'm the shorter hitter of the 2 of us, every match the bigger hitters all took the odds. I can only assume due to the SI 1 13th and SI 2 5th.

Anyways first hole in our first match I hit the worst first tee shot imaginable. It somehow hit the ground and went backwards then bounced forwards and to the right slightly.

Here is a photo of our opponent teeing off after myself, and my partner then hitting our second shot. He was laughing so hard he topped it and didn't even reach the fairway lol

image.jpg

image.jpg

We managed to make double bogey and got a 1/2 on that hole.

Standing on the 13th tee we were 5 down with 6 to go. We somehow managed to pull it together from there and actually won the last 6 holes and walked off the 18th 1 up.

We somehow managed to win after this and eventually made it to the semi finals and were up against 2 cat 1 guys and best them on the 14th and then won the final on the 17th against the club champion and his partner.

So how many down have you been to then make a comeback and go on to win your match?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I played Bobmac at Woburn earlier this year. I was so gee'd up with organising the day and making sure that everything went smoothly that I stood on the first tee and hit a horror shot due to not being suitably relaxed. Unfortunately, this carried on for the first four holes and I was playing like a muppet. I managed to get my act together but we walked off the 9th green and I was 4 down. I didn't fancy my chances because Bob was playing reasonable golf....
I somehow got my game sorted and proceeded to play what was probably the best back 9 I've ever played. Don't know what my gross score was but I could have only dropped a couple of shots at most, and that included a double bogie 6 at the 12th! I canned an outrageously long putt on the 18th for birdie and actually walked off the green 1 up! Bob looked shellshocked!
Unfortunately, it was a 36 hole match and despite my valiant efforts, Bob ended up winning 1 up (I think). But it was a great game.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Hey Smiffy lets not forget when you and I took on the mighty Pieman and PNwokingham at your place. Despite old age, them being hugely talented and you having poncy iron headcovers we managed to scrape a half. There were highlights of your play on the last and my eagle opportunity (missed) on the par 5 forever etched on my mind, along with PN's reaction to playing a wrong ball and him spending half the round on his arse!

Will rank up there in history I believe!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Hey Smiffy lets not forget when you and I took on the mighty Pieman and PNwokingham at your place. Despite old age, them being hugely talented and you having poncy iron headcovers we managed to scrape a half. There were highlights of your play on the last and my eagle opportunity (missed) on the par 5 forever etched on my mind, along with PN's reaction to playing a wrong ball and him spending half the round on his arse!

Will rank up there in history I believe!

Ooooh I forgot about that one! We were about 4 down at the turn too weren't we????
I bet Pieman felt full of confidence all the way round with Paul as his partner though
;)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
This year in our club match agaist Kilmarnock Barrassie we were 3 down with 3 to play and we came off the last all square.

Playing with Crawford at Spey Valley before the Castle Stuart meet. GM team Vs John Finleys, Clarks Bar. I think we were 5 or 6 down at the turn and won on the 18th.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Six down after seven holes in the first round of the 4BBB with a new [beginnerish] partner.
I stood on the 8th tee and said to him that if we win this hole we will win the match, he looked at me as if I was mad.
We won 2 up and went on to win the trophy.

Also 4 up with four to play and won at 19th.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Scratch foursomes playing for Hockley at Royal Winchester.

7 down at the turn, won on the 18th

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Wow DFS, I think that's better than Gary Players win in the match play at Wentworth. [v's Tony Lema i think?]
And all because he overheard a spectator say 'this match is over'.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Wow DFS, I think that's better than Gary Players win in the match play at Wentworth. [v's Tony Lema i think?]
And all because he overheard a spectator say 'this match is over'.

Talk about a game of 2 halves Doon, I thought it was over after about 5 or 6 the way my partner was playing!!

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
My first ever match play, I was playing the club captain and was 5 down after 6. Managed to get my act together and beat him on the 19th. What an introduction to match play.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
One of our matchplay singles comps is played a little differently. The person with the higher handicap starts half the difference up but the match is then played off level. One year I played against a guy with a shot difference of 14, hence he started 7 up and was still 7 up at the turn. I won on the 18th. He was a shorter hitter and had the benefit of a following wind on the front nine, and I had to fight to stay 7 down. Once we turned into the wind he started trying too hard, sliced it all over the place, and just blew up.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
nothing quite so spectactular but I got a half afterbeing dormie 3 down in an interclub match at Birchy's place, won 3 &1 after being 3 down after 5 in 12 hole winter league match, on the other side of a comeback I was 3 up after 6 this week in another 12 hole winter league match and lost it on the last.

fat-tiger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
this year final of the woodhall spa summer matchplay knockout,

4 down with 6 to play got on a run and won the next 5 holes, had to hole a dodgy 3footer for a half on last, which was the only hole we halved all the way round ,

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I remember a scratch KO semi against a county player.
I was never up in the game and he had a gimmie for the match on 18th.
Something made me not give it, he missed and I won 19th.

Shortest comeback story but shows what an interesting game we play.