Best halfway houses?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Hello

I’m doing a big piece on halfway houses in the UK for the mag and looking for some insight.

As well as singing the usual praises of of Sunningdale’s sausages I’d like to shine a light on some of the more underrated ones

Any particular regional treats? Think Lytham do a brilliant pork pie?

Any that are a bit different?

What’s the best thing that you’ve ever eaten in a halfway house?

Any spectacular settings?

Basically if you have any good tales and tidbits about a halfway house then please share

Any that still operate an honesty bar?

Cheers all

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The setting of Turnberry is stunning but the hot chocolate at Gleneagles on two cold and wet days was special, a level above the usual.

Special mention to the homemade flapjack at Knaresborough. Lovely stuff and good value.

sunshine

Visit site
Any that doesn’t allow people to stop and sit down.

I used to be a member at a 9 hole course and people would go into the clubhouse and have breakfast after the first 9 :rolleyes:
Although I've heard in Japan and Korea it's common to have a full meal half way.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Steak & Gravy pie, Carnoustie.
Steak & Gravy pie, Old Course

Never been able to decide which is better, they are both glorious.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
I used to be a member at a 9 hole course and people would go into the clubhouse and have breakfast after the first 9 :rolleyes:
Although I've heard in Japan and Korea it's common to have a full meal half way.

Someone told me that the highlight of a pro-am in Japan is the meal after nine holes, takes two hours. Then they go out and basically run round as the pace of play is so quick

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Blackmoor is good, and best sausage rolls I have ever had. They now do pasties as well which are lovely. It is also 20 feet from 10th tee. Halfway huts should always be next to 10th tee, so I ruled out West Hill as it is by the 12th !

Please don't go for Sunningdale. the sausages sandwiches are rubbish.:p

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Swinley Forest is one not mentioned already. Wentworth's is also fairly good, even if not actually 'halfway'.
I've heard of folk who go to Sunningdale for the food at Halfway House rather than the Golf!

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
East Sussex National had a good setup on both courses where you could get freshly cooked bacon, sausage, egg baps etc. There was an intercom on the 9th tee, so you could place your order. I haven't been for a few years, but assume it's still the same.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
The lighthouse at Turnberry is pretty spectacular, if a little pricey. I think the sausage rolls at the Centurion are probably the best I've had in the UK.

Halfway in Japan is good, but a challenge, usually after 9, you come in to the restaurant for a minimum hour break. The food is a step up from your average sausage roll and pasty, it includes 2 or 3 courses with multiple beers before venturing back out for the back 9. Here's a sample from the halfway menu at Inasa Suzuki
menu.PNG

On the plus side, one occasion I played there, the rain was so heavy, we were absolutely drenched. When we came in halfway like drowned rabbits, they took all our clubs, waterproofs, gloves and hats off of us and put them in a drying cupboard. Everything was bone dry and fresh to use going out for the second half.

The tricky bit is after the round finishes, when you're expected to strip off and share a bath with your playing partners..... in my case, a president of Suzuki cars.
hot_img02.jpg

Last edited: