Best Drivers 2018

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I was just perusing the GM article on the best drivers of 2018 and I have to admit I'm a little confused by some of the terminology;

Twist Face
Y Track
Hammerhead Slot
Jailbreak technology :eek:
Active Recoil Channel 2.0
Radial Speed Face 2.0
SureFit CG
Power Holes
Forged SP700 Ti Face
Geocoustic construction
360 Aero
Green Means GO! Fast Fit Technology 3.0 :thup:
Power Wave Sole
HiBore Crown
Flex-Fin Technology

I'm just glad I'm currently not in the market for a new driver. :confused:

D

Deleted Member 1156

I guess new technology to you Nick is laminated head, plastic insert, leather wound grip, eye-o-matic, 250cc driver heads, steel shafts etc :thup: :D

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Come on Nick you are not trying to be a marketeers dream.
All that stuff is AWESOME, and deep down I think you know it ;):thup:

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fantastic that these articles are out so early in 2018.

Not only highlights the BS the OEM's come out with but tha culpability of the media that perpetuate it.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Best driver is the one that works for you. Witchcraft and codswallop too a tee.

Try em out, buy what gives you the best numbers!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I was just perusing the GM article on the best drivers of 2018 and I have to admit I'm a little confused by some of the terminology;

Twist Face
Y Track
Hammerhead Slot
Jailbreak technology :eek:
Active Recoil Channel 2.0
Radial Speed Face 2.0
SureFit CG
Power Holes
Forged SP700 Ti Face
Geocoustic construction
360 Aero
Green Means GO! Fast Fit Technology 3.0 :thup:
Power Wave Sole
HiBore Crown
Flex-Fin Technology

I'm just glad I'm currently not in the market for a new driver. :confused:

Wasn't terminology like ‘Oil Hardened’ and ‘Eye-o-Matic’ etc etc just the oldie equivalent ;)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wasn't terminology like ‘Oil Hardened’ and ‘Eye-o-Matic’ etc etc just the oldie equivalent ;)

Yes, and you used to remove the sole plate and mess around with the lead (amount and position)...much easier to do the same thing now!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

Indeed, there's very little new in golf!

There's also an article about Hideto Tanihara having a 10 iron in his bag, shock horror! I've got at least three of those in my older iron sets and I've even seen "Spinal Tap" 11 irons.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
imagine how far a driver incorporating all those fantastic design innervation's would go???

probably wouldn't need a numpty on the end of it....where can a buy one:rofl::rofl:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Indeed, there's very little new in golf!

There's also an article about Hideto Tanihara having a 10 iron in his bag, shock horror! I've got at least three of those in my older iron sets and I've even seen "Spinal Tap" 11 irons.

his 10 iron is 43 degrees, be more like an 8 iron in your sets Nick ;)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
his 10 iron is 43 degrees, be more like an 8 iron in your sets Nick ;)

That's true, they should realign the numbering of clubs to suit new lofts, but then the manufacturers distance claims wouldn't look so good so that's unlikely to happen!

Edit: Just made a rough measure on a couple of mine and they're around 50 to 52 degrees so gap wedge type loft.

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's true, they should realign the numbering of clubs to suit new lofts, but then the manufacturers distance claims wouldn't look so good so that's unlikely to happen!

Edit: Just made a rough measure on a couple of mine and they're around 50 to 52 degrees so gap wedge type loft.

My 10 is 45 from memory (staff fluid feel forged); but it's a long time ago when I had 1 - 10 irons in the (leather tour ) bag!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
My 10 is 45 from memory (staff fluid feel forged); but it's a long time ago when I had 1 - 10 irons in the (leather tour ) bag!

Nice irons, I'd have expected a little more loft than 45 though.

I've got a set of Staff Tour Blades (line over) that date to mid 1980s, they went 9 to PW though, 9 was 46 and PW 50 degrees.

Wilson Staff Tourblades.jpg

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I've got a couple of FG Tour 17s around and the 8 is 40 that would make the 9- 44 and a 10- 48 which fits in with most PWs being 52 around that time.