Best Cricketer.....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Have to say for full on agression and intimidation of a team for the whole day it would have to be Holding, Roberts, Garner and Marshall. For his guile and love of the game it would be Warne. For sheer speed and excellence in the field it would be Randall and for effortless batting at his peak it would be Gower. Best wicketkeepr I ever saw live was Alan Knott

I also enjoyed Botham in his pomp, Boycott for never giving his wicket away, and as a Surrey fan, Butcher (father Alan and son Mark), Monty Lynch, Pat Pocock, Ramprakash and Alec Stewart.

time_vans

Head Pro
Visit site
saw god....sorry... Geoff Boycott play in a charity match in Hull....ok he might bore you to death but nobody protected his wicket like Geoff.Best all rounder has got to be Beefy and the fact that the aussies feared him both on and off the pitch endears him to me even more.Bowler....well although he has since been accused of 'bending' the rules...Wasim Akram made the ball talk.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Was in awe of the Windies of Richards,Greenidge,Holding,Andy Roberts etc.etc.etc.
I would love to see the current crop of Aussies face that lot,they would cack themselves!

Favourite player tho is Hick,I have one of his commemorative 100/100's bats signed in a presentation case.

Homer,back in the middle 90's had an Ocker that worked for me,was a member at Surrey and bowled for the Aussie Embassy team. We spent many afternoons attending "meetings" at the Oval drinking lightly chilled Chardonnay and eating "Subs". My favourite memory is of Skippy barracking Chris Lewis,with gems like "bend yer back Lewie" and "come on Lewie find the furniture" he eventually stopped at the end of his run up,gave us the finger and said "why dont you f***k off back to Australia you ****".

Wilf

Club Champion
Visit site
Batting : Gower, Mark Waugh, Ponting (old Trafford 2005), Vaughan (Ashes Tour Version) Botham Richards

Bowling: Marshall, Lillee

Fielding: Jonty, Botham, Richards, Randall

evita4

Head Pro
Visit site
Batting - Lara great hundred after Corks hat trick at Old Trafford in 1995

Bowling - Holding, Thomson and Lillee. Abdul Qadir, Warne and Murali as the class spinners.

Fielding - Rhodes and Gus Logie

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lara & Warne - 100% matchwinners, they could turn a game. Wasim Akram came close. Watched him at lancs on many occasions and not seen much quicker since.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Homer I was only kidding.Sometimes watch the cricket on 5,seems rather a complicated game,but can be very technicaland enjoyable to watch.The boss thinks I,m sad what with golf,the forum and being caught watching cricket..........As a jock loved Botham(pure aggression)Wonder what the jocks chances are of qualifying in Ireland this week???

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
toyboy54

Its col - it made me chuckle. We all know there is only one true sport though which is why we are here. Cricket is a bit like golf in that it is a seemingly easy game made complicated. That said when I was able to drink there was nothing better than a cooler box full of beer wasting the day away at a test match, chilling, watching the game and getting hammered

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That said when I was able to drink there was nothing better than a cooler box full of beer wasting the day away at a test match, chilling, watching the game and getting hammered

Homer I am confused. Is that you getting hammered or England? :D :D

evita4

Head Pro
Visit site
That said when I was able to drink there was nothing better than a cooler box full of beer wasting the day away at a test match, chilling, watching the game and getting hammered

Homer I am confused. Is that you getting hammered or England? :D :D

The way this current test series is going I think it was Homer and England getting hammered.

DCB

Visit site
Boycott was amazing, Derek Underwood could do things with a ball that only suspect arm actions can do nowadays. Ahh the heady days of the late sixties and early seventies, when men were men and a five day match lasted five days!

As a scot with no team so to speak, I was always interested in Essex (very good in the 1980s) and the England team.

Nowadays I don't know who is who in the England team other than one or two of them. Some wouldn't have gotten into the team 40 yrs ago!

D

Deleted member 1147

I saw Marshall, Richards, Haynes at the very end of their careers. They looked good then, wish I'd seen them earlier on.

Of those I've seen at the height of their powers:

Bowlers: McGrath, Donald/Pollock, Kapil Dev, Ambrose/Walsh

Batsmen: Ponting, Waugh Bros, Gilchrist, Vaughan(at his best), Lara, Tendulker.

Why is it that the above batsmen could/can score heavily, quickly without giving away their wicket like our boys do?