Ben Schmidt

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had the pleasure to watch this 16 year old win the Brabazon this year at Alwoodley by 5 shots & now probably is 17 as I just happened on Sky to see him as he topped the boys’ gross leaderboard for the Justin Rose Telegraph Junior Golf Championship at Vale de Lobo & won by 15 shots. Staggeringly good.

D

Deleted member 3432

I had the pleasure to watch this 16 year old win the Brabazon this year at Alwoodley by 5 shots & now probably is 17 as I just happened on Sky to see him as he topped the boys’ gross leaderboard for the Justin Rose Telegraph Junior Golf Championship at Vale de Lobo & won by 15 shots. Staggeringly good.

You could probably add Robin Williams and Josh Hill to the staggeringly good list after winning Mena Tour (Pro) events age 18 and 15 as amateurs.

England golf has some talented young players at present, interesting to see if they progress to the top of the pro game over the next few years.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Conor Gough as well, he had only just turned 17 when he played in this year's Walker Cup, for which Ben Schmidt was reserve. World ranked number 3 amateur. Lots to look forward to for all of them.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another from the white rose county is Matt Fitz's young brother Alex.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Conor Gough as well, he had only just turned 17 when he played in this year's Walker Cup, for which Ben Schmidt was reserve. World ranked number 3 amateur. Lots to look forward to for all of them.

One of our members is Conor's PE teacher and he reckons his brother has the potential to be even better. He played with Conor recently at Stoke Park and given the crap conditions and the strong wind and Conor shot -1 without even trying and had two doubles in there.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Its how they kick on that is the burning question.

There are numerous examples of top top quality golfers for whatever reason just disappear into the unknown/lesser ranks once they turn pro. It's very strange how some manage the transition - some flop.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Its how they kick on that is the burning question.

There are numerous examples of top top quality golfers for whatever reason just disappear into the unknown/lesser ranks once they turn pro. It's very strange how some manage the transition - some flop.
I'll ask Conor's teacher tomorrow what plans he has to turn pro or carrying on as an amateur. As world #3 I wonder if that gives him any sort of entry into majors or big events on invites

D

Deleted member 1147

I'll ask Conor's teacher tomorrow what plans he has to turn pro or carrying on as an amateur. As world #3 I wonder if that gives him any sort of entry into majors or big events on invites
Top 50 in the WAGR gets them automatically through the first round of Open qualifying - and he could probably get the occasional invitation to play any Pro events held in the UK.