Beijing Olympics

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Have to go back to the PRC in May so need a new Visa. This used to be easy, but due to the Olympics they have changed the rules and it is a lot harder. Winkers.

However, if I wanted a tourist visa to go to the olympics I would need to buy my plane tickets first, and book my hotels before I could apply for a Visa. How stupid is this? Who would spend that sort of cash before getting a visa?

I couldn't understand why the olympics was awarded to this tin pot country before this, but there is no way it should go to a country who make it this hard for spectators to get in.

The IOC need to have a rethink on how they select host nations.

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Not so much a tin pot country anymore Murph.

When i was a youngster "Made in China" was the sign of cheap nasty products.
Means the same nowadays with many products but by 'eck, they're bloody good at producing cheap products for an eager world market.

Just think about where a good percentage of brand goods are made these days. You can bet a fair few are made in China.

Sad but true.

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
It's difficult NOT to buy things not made in China. It all seems a bit one sided, the Chinese prefer the export, export, export option. They import raw materials due to them not having them, steel being a main item.

China has a rapidly rising economy, they're booming like crazy. Their infrastructure is not geared up for it though. They're building everywhere. Power stations are going up by the week. Globally it's a nightmare for the environment, tonnes of pollutants entering the atmosphere (hence the smog)

The forthcoming Olympics will be a challenge to the Chinese. Their track record on human rights is not good. The rest of the world sees this in a bad light which doesn't bode well for the games.
Unfortunately politics has crept into sport again. What on earth has the Olympic Games got to do with politics?
When was the last time you saw active Olympic athletes and other sportspeople making government decisions?