Ball retriever...are they really that stupid?

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was out the other day with a friend who carries one. The course we were playing has a lot of water hazards due to the course a river takes through it with 4 out of the 9 holes bringing the water into play. As it's only a 9 hole course you have to loop twice so potenital to hit them 8 times. Over the course of the 9 holes we played, he used the retriever 3 times and about 5 minutes in total. Once for his own ball that went into a hazard and the rest to pluck out easily visable but difficult to retrieve balls. The result was saving his own Pro V1, pulling out an additional 3 Pro V's , a Z-star and 5 assorted rocks. When we finished the round he showed me a few bags he kept in his car each which he stores balls he finds on the course. Had about 100 seperated by brands and most of which he said he got from the water using the retriever and a large percentage of them were premium balls.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If you are on a budget then it makes good sense but my concern is the quality and performance. There is no way of knowing how long they have been submerged but you can't get any consistancy. It is the same with lake balls from AG. No two Pro V's in the box will perform alike.

Neddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I carry one to retrieve my balls, why would leave something i paid good money for in a ditch/lake when i can easily get it back?

I wouldn't make a point of fishing in a pond fr other people's balls but each to their own....

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If a £20 ball retriever saves me pulling or tearing my £45 sweater on a thorny bush RO retrieve my ball then it's money saved.

Good pieces of kit despite the fact I don't have one

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
they are only stupid until you need one! and can we have less talk about sticking hands in a bush,thought it was an exert from 50 shades of grey!!!!!

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I was out the other day with a friend who carries one. The course we were playing has a lot of water hazards due to the course a river takes through it with 4 out of the 9 holes bringing the water into play. As it's only a 9 hole course you have to loop twice so potenital to hit them 8 times. Over the course of the 9 holes we played, he used the retriever 3 times and about 5 minutes in total. Once for his own ball that went into a hazard and the rest to pluck out easily visable but difficult to retrieve balls. The result was saving his own Pro V1, pulling out an additional 3 Pro V's , a Z-star and 5 assorted rocks. When we finished the round he showed me a few bags he kept in his car each which he stores balls he finds on the course. Had about 100 seperated by brands and most of which he said he got from the water using the retriever and a large percentage of them were premium balls.

And there in lies the problem. People spend more time retrieving other balls than they do their own: Once in the hazard and pulled out 8 balls from 3 separate hazards - 2 he didn't even go in. That my friend is slow play, no other word for it. I'd be proper pee'd off if someone in front of me, or worse still, in my group stopped at hazards he hadn't even been in to retrieve balls that weren't his.

If you want to carry a ball retriever (horrible things though they are) don't waste time. If you want to go and pick out balls that aren't yours, do it in your own time, not while you're playing.

Rant Over

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you want to carry a ball retriever (horrible things though they are) don't waste time. If you want to go and pick out balls that aren't yours, do it in your own time, not while you're playing.

I see no issues in people fishing out a ball or two if the course is empty when they are playing on a quiet evening, those who do it in normal or busy times with groups backing up behind them are the problem!

Just because you are waiting for the group in front to clear the green is NOT an excuse to fish balls out the pond!!! By all means fish out your own ball but use the time to prepare for your shot not poke about like a frustrated fisherman!

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just left a course with water on 16 of 18 holes and the ball scoop was invaluable both for finding my/playing partners and rooting round for extras! 1 of my mates buys his lunch in the clubhouse with pro-vs he drags out of the ponds!

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just left a course with water on 16 of 18 holes and the ball scoop was invaluable both for finding my/playing partners and rooting round for extras! 1 of my mates buys his lunch in the clubhouse with pro-vs he drags out of the ponds!

I should point out that a rooting round for golf balls in ponds should only be done when the course is quiet - As it really gets up my larger than average nose when people insist on trawling the ponds during a Saturday morning medal!

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
And there in lies the problem. People spend more time retrieving other balls than they do their own: Once in the hazard and pulled out 8 balls from 3 separate hazards - 2 he didn't even go in. That my friend is slow play, no other word for it. I'd be proper pee'd off if someone in front of me, or worse still, in my group stopped at hazards he hadn't even been in to retrieve balls that weren't his.

Rant Over

We were playing millionaires golf so hardly an issue now is it.He wouldn't do it in a comp or with the course busy but surely a good thing during a quite practice round.

A

Alex1975

I thought once someone lost a ball on course it became the property of the club hence all the chatter some years back about golf ball divers getting in trouble... did one not even go to jail?

Ye, as has been said, slow play is the real issue. That and I only have a 14 way deviders so no room for ball retrievers or kids plastic clubs....

Hehe, millionairs golf... he soon will be if he keeps filling the boot up... ;)

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can tell a bad player as they have their ball retriever re gripped more often than their driver.:rofl:

I'm not saying I'm a bad golfer, but I was 'custom fitted' for my ball retriever and it has totally transformed my ball retrieving capabilities, and yes, I have had it re-gripped.................................twice :whistle:.

Slime.