Ball plug mark query

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
In yesterday's comp I hit a shot into a green, it landed just short and made a plug hole with a big lip, my ball wasn't plugged but was right on the back edge, so the lip was about an inch in front of the ball and right in line of play.

I decided that I was not allowed to do anything as I wasn't plugged and as I played the ball it just hit the lip which flipped the ball up in the air and only went a couple of feet.

Was that the correct decision or could I have flattened the lip before playing the shot?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If the plug mark was on the green you could have repaired it but as it wasn't, you couldn't. So you did the right thing.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I didn't think chipping was a great option, it was so close to the raised lip, it was also about a foot from the green and chip a very short distance is not something I am comfortable doing.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
In yesterday's comp I hit a shot into a green, it landed just short and made a plug hole with a big lip, my ball wasn't plugged but was right on the back edge, so the lip was about an inch in front of the ball and right in line of play.

I decided that I was not allowed to do anything as I wasn't plugged and as I played the ball it just hit the lip which flipped the ball up in the air and only went a couple of feet.

Was that the correct decision or could I have flattened the lip before playing the shot?

Yes. Correct decision.

You can't repair pitch marks off the green - except if they both interfere with your line AND were made by a ball landing AFTER yours.

Welcome to one of the additional hazards of Autumn-Spring play on non-links courses!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did the course not have Winter Rules in place? ie preferred lies

Sounds like an area of closely mown grass to me.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes. Correct decision.

You can't repair pitch marks off the green - except if they both interfere with your line AND were made by a ball landing AFTER yours.

Welcome to one of the additional hazards of Autumn-Spring play on non-links courses!

Not sure how this is relevant?

If it doesn't interfere with your line of play you can always repair it (and should, otherwise it there for the next player!)

If it is on your line you can only repair it if it was made after your ball comes to rest.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Not sure how this is relevant?

If it doesn't interfere with your line of play you can always repair it (and should, otherwise it there for the next player!)

If it is on your line you can only repair it if it was made after your ball comes to rest.
Doh! Good point (in bold)! My reply was very badly worded! Should have been as per your last sentence!