Ball lands up against rake I placed on the edge of the bunker.

Mark_G

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have checked the R and A website and it would seem that although I gained an advantage and felt very guilty I dont get a penalty, but please point out the rule if I do.

When I entered the bunker I took the rake with me and placed it handle on the edge, head on the sand. I miss hit my shot and the ball sliced forward and sideways about 6 feet and came to rest against the rake handle, (the handle definitely stopped the ball rolling back into the bunker) I marked the ball and it stayed in place when the rake was removed. Apart from not moving the rake in the first place, what else could I do? Because it was a friendly game I took a shot penalty anyway (miscounted my putts), but my friend I was playing said that was just the rub of the green. Whats the answer Gents?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Your friend was right. You clearly did not put the rake there with the intention of influencing the movement of the ball. There is no penalty. It was just your luck - which could have gone the other way with the ball bouncing back off the rake into the bunker when it would otherwise have stayed out.

A related question occurs to me: if a player's caddie is standing holding a rake ready to rake the bunker after his stroke and the ball strikes it, is the rake at that moment part of the player's equipment?

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Your friend was right. You clearly did not put the rake there with the intention of influencing the movement of the ball. There is no penalty. It was just your luck - which could have gone the other way with the ball bouncing back off the rake into the bunker when it would otherwise have stayed out.

A related question occurs to me: if a player's caddie is standing holding a rake ready to rake the bunker after his stroke and the ball strikes it, is the rake at that moment part of the player's equipment?

I'm as certain as I can be (99.99999%) that it is - because it's 'under his/her control'.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site

I'm as certain as I can be (99.99999%) that it is - because it's 'under his/her control'.

Correct. There is a decision specifically on this

19-2/10 Ball Stopped or Deflected by Rake Held by Player’s Caddie

"When a ball is accidentally deflected or stopped by a rake held by or in contact with a player’s caddie, the caddie has accidentally deflected or stopped the player’s ball in motion in breach of Rule 19-2. The player is responsible for this breach of the Rules by his caddie (see Rule 6-1). The player incurs a penalty of one stroke and must play the ball as it lies. (Revised)"

Technically it seems it's not so much that the rake is deemed to be equipment as it is deemed to be the caddie that deflected the ball. Not that it makes any difference in parctice.

What if, in panic at the ball coming towards him, the caddie dropped the rake and then the ball hit it? I guess that would not be a penatly.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Technically it seems it's not so much that the rake is deemed to be equipment as it is deemed to be the caddie that deflected the ball.

19-2 is a good example of how the Player, Partner, Caddie and Equipment are all considered synonomous ie if the rake is equipment it's the same as it being a caddie etc