Ball hitting ball on the green

Garesfield ACE

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi folks

Couple of days ago my pal putted from near edge of green hit it nowhere near the pin it hit my ball (again not near the pin ) resulting in his ball knocking my ball much closer to the pin.He said my ball should be replaced where it was originally and take my putt from there.I wasnt happy with this but went along with it.I do not no the correct ruling on this but LOGICALLY how can I replace my ball back to where it was as I could not no the EXACT spot it had been on?....He had NOT asked me to mark my ball neither.

What is the correct situation on this?

Cheers

Kev

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes, you replace your ball. No doubt you won't know exactly where it was but you agree between you where you think it was.
If I notice a ball on the way to mine I'm thinking about where it is so I can replace it if necessary.

If his ball was on the green before he struck it he gets a 2 shot penalty too. Off the green no problem.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi folks

Couple of days ago my pal putted from near edge of green hit it nowhere near the pin it hit my ball (again not near the pin ) resulting in his ball knocking my ball much closer to the pin.He said my ball should be replaced where it was originally and take my putt from there.I wasnt happy with this but went along with it.I do not no the correct ruling on this but LOGICALLY how can I replace my ball back to where it was as I could not no the EXACT spot it had been on?....He had NOT asked me to mark my ball neither.

What is the correct situation on this?

Cheers

Kev
your ball has to be put back to as near possible to where it was . his stays where it stops . if he played from off the green there's no penalty

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes, you replace your ball. No doubt you won't know exactly where it was but you agree between you where you think it was.
If I notice a ball on the way to mine I'm thinking about where it is so I can replace it if necessary.

If his ball was on the green before he struck it he gets a 2 shot penalty too. Off the green no problem.
unless you are our lady captain who seemed to think that you would get a 2 stroke penalty for hitting when off the green - arrrgghhhh!!! honestly...some of the people i play with just make up rules...

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
unless you are our lady captain who seemed to think that you would get a 2 stroke penalty for hitting when off the green - arrrgghhhh!!! honestly...some of the people i play with just make up rules...

Next time you play from 150yds and she's already on the green ask her to mark her ball and see what she says :lol:

You could also ask her to tend the flag while she's there.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Heidi, ALWAYS carry a rule book in your bag for this exact reason. Hand your lady captain the book and ask her to show you the rule.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
This rules puzzles me a little. If you are playing shots to a blind green, one ball may hit another and you wouldn't know.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's not really a problem, Louise. As you haven't seen anything you will just carry on and play the balls as you find them, none the wiser. And as there would have been no penalty involved, it doesn't matter. The ball that was there first would normally be replaced but obviously can't be as you you don't know what happened. If it is knocked into the hole, lucky for the player; if it gets knocked away from a gimme position, tough luck!

Last edited:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
off 6 handicap thats surprising

I'd imagine there are quite a few that people (like I did) assume things and get it wrong.

I knew about the 2 shot penalty, but not that there was no penalty in matchplay.
It seems a bit odd that if my opponent leaves his ball at the side of the hole I can hit my putt before he gets a chance to mark it and suffer no penalty if it helps me.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Where there are differences between a match play rule and a stroke play rule, it is usually because in matchplay only your opponent(s) in your match are affected by what happened whereas in stroke play everyone else in the field is affected.

So in this instance, if you got a lucky deflection off your opponent's ball into the hole, only he is disadvantaged and he had the possibility of marking and lifting to prevent its happening. In stroke play, however, that lucky deflection affects all the fellow competitors not in your game who had no chance to prevent it. Something like that.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'd imagine there are quite a few that people (like I did) assume things and get it wrong.

I knew about the 2 shot penalty, but not that there was no penalty in matchplay.
It seems a bit odd that if my opponent leaves his ball at the side of the hole I can hit my putt before he gets a chance to mark it and suffer no penalty if it helps me.

I doubt you could do that. Rule 22 allows you to have a ball lifted or lift a ball if you feel it interferes with your shot or assists another.

If your opponent wanted to mark it and you just hit it before he had chance to mark it because you thought it was advantageous to do so I suspect you'd be penalised. I'd guess that'd be covered in decisions or general equity rule.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd guess that'd be covered in decisions or general equity rule.

no need - it's all quite clear under the rule you quoted and if, in matchplay, the player played after the other had stated his intention to mark and lift his ball he would loose the hole under that rule.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
whats the ruling on this similar situation. player A ,is on the green 3ft left and 4ft passed the hole, player B is on the front of the green and is asked if he wants the ball marked, he says no thanks im not that blind ! and putts , but missreads and over hits . his ball is heading towards player A's ball. can player A rush and mark his ball while the other ball is in motion . or can any of the other players or caddies mark the ball