Ball flight?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I have been using my 3 Bays swing analyser again and a lot of my driver swings say that my club face was open and my swing path was outside. Now the ball flew nice and straight (maybe a hint of fade) and the GSA doesn't say how far open or outside.

Is that what I should expect?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Outside? You mean a fraction out-to-in?

You'd hit a straight(ish) flight if you are hitting down on it but not if you're hitting up, it would fade.... or slice.

Proper trackman figures would be required to figure out what was going on exactly.... unless you have any figures? (never heard of that device you mentioned).

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Outside? You mean a fraction out-to-in?

You'd hit a straight(ish) flight if you are hitting down on it but not if you're hitting up, it would fade.... or slice.

It doesn't give degrees of outside but the flights not a slice, so I think you're right, ie a fraction out to in

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
The ball flight laws for something like a 3-iron is that to hit a straight shot the path must be a little to the left and descending with the face pointing directly at the target at impact (the downwards counteracts the leftwards and you get straight flight).

The same would be for a driver hit the same way, a little to the left and descending. If the face was pointing AT the target (which is necessary for straight flight) then it would infact be open to the path (which is a little left). The fact that it's tee'd up is of no consequence if you are hitting down on it a little just as you would an iron. Driver ball flight conditions only change when you are hitting up (which you can't do with an iron).

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The ball flight laws for something like a 3-iron is that to hit a straight shot the path must be a little to the left and descending with the face pointing directly at the target at impact (the downwards counteracts the leftwards and you get straight flight).

The same would be for a driver hit the same way, a little to the left and descending. If the face was pointing AT the target then it would infact be open to the path (which is a little left). The fact that it's tee'd up is of no consequence if you are hitting down on it a little just as you would an iron. Driver ball flight conditions only change when you are hitting up (which you can't do with an iron).

I think that I swing on an upward path with the driver

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I think that I swing on an upward path with the driver

Only trackman would know for sure but your ballflight would suggest 1 or 2 degrees down. Not that it matters unless you want to change something in your swing?

I can say that if you hit UP at 4 degrees then the path would be going left by at least 4 degrees and with a square or open face that ball will be spinning off to the right.

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Not that it matters unless you want to change something in your swing?

Not really James I am just trying to make sense of the results of the 3 Bays data. On the good hits I am very satisfied with the results. With the irons I can do the early hip movement to initiate the downswing and get a square or inside swing path but find it more difficult with the driver. I have for a long time played with a swing that starts a little over the top then re-routes down the line about halfway down - I hope this makes sense!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
James,

<Patrick148 mode>Do keep up dear chap</Patrick148 mode>

There are a number of these devices around these days, some of which have been around for quite a while (3ays being one).

And Trackman isn't the only Dopler device. Flightscope actually came out earlier - just wasn'r marketted like only the yanks can!

High speed cameras are now back in the frame too and can give both ball and head stats - though some markings are required for that.

And, perhaps a little pedantically, I believe it's D-Plane that refines the (N)BFLs by adding AofA element to Swing Path and Face Angle.
@Chrisd

Perhaps a half hour session on Trackman/Flightscope with the device would allow you to calibrate/understand the figures. I know someone else who actually did that and understood his one (I don't think it was 3Bays though) better.

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
After plenty of swings trying different things and the 3 Bays, I found that I was cupping the left wrist at the top (right handed) as soon as I reversed that and bent the right one all my swings came back as "square" on the swing path!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
After plenty of swings trying different things and the 3 Bays, I found that I was cupping the left wrist at the top (right handed) as soon as I reversed that and bent the right one all my swings came back as "square" on the swing path!

Does it say 'square' or does it say 'inside-inside'? Does it tell you what you are at the moment of truth (impact)?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Does it say 'square' or does it say 'inside-inside'? Does it tell you what you are at the moment of truth (impact)?

It's basic info and says square, outside and inside, unfortunately it doesn't give a reading. The face angle is open, square or closed.it is supposed to be calculated at impact and for the face angle is calculated as open, closed or square in relation to its position at address.

lyden

Head Pro
Visit site
I've had one for a while. When it reports outside but your shot goes straight it doesnt mean you've come over the top (slice). It means its over the top of your backswing, meaning you may have had a perfect downswing. Work on your take away and it will report square as long as you bring it down on the same line. As for the open make sure it aligned properly or your club may have been slightly open. I love my 3bays, really helped me establish a repeatable swing.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I've had one for a while. When it reports outside but your shot goes straight it doesnt mean you've come over the top (slice). It means its over the top of your backswing, meaning you may have had a perfect downswing. Work on your take away and it will report square as long as you bring it down on the same line. As for the open make sure it aligned properly or your club may have been slightly open. I love my 3bays, really helped me establish a repeatable swing.

With my proper cupping the lines show much closer together but they are all consistent and I'm sure that the gadget is going to help