ball contact advice.

Wooky

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all, looking for some help please.
We have a par 5 my 3rd shot into the green is from an uphill lie.
Depending on how my 2 previous shots have gone I could be hitting anything from a 4 iron to a 7 iron for my 3rd shot.
Now from this uphill lie, I usually hit a very pleasing shot, the ball tends to rocket off the club face, leaving a nice shallow divot & a lovely ball flight.

The question is why do I find it easier to hit a good shot from an uphill lie?
Is it that I have more weight on my front foot for balance?
Or is it because I have more shaft lean?
Or am I coming in from a shallower angle?

Any thoughts?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It could be that your weight is on your back foot but as you are hitting on the upslope you are levelling out the swing.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
This tends to manufacture the conditions for the 'hit down on the ball for best results' concept. Even with balance level with the slope, the swing will naturally have the effect of getting weight onto the front foot and the strike will be more downward - relative to the slope.

Have you noticed how it's rather more difficult to strike it well off a downhill lie?

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bet James smiled when he read about the weight on the front foot!!! I know I did!!!

Wooky- it's a Stack and Tilt thing that made me laugh. Nothing else.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I find that if your weight is forward on an up hill lie then the danger is the clubface digging in severely. I find the best way is to level out so your centre is perpendicular to the slope, you can then take a swing similar to a level lie. The same goes for a down hill lie, if you get your centre perpendicular to the slope you can make a cleaner hit.