Balance

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Could having too much weight on my toes during the swing cause shanking? :confused: I thinki know the answer but would like a few expert/more experienced opinions than mine :)

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good , i just wanted a reply so i knew it was relevent before i filled in the gaps :).

Went to range last night and started off ok hitting the ball pretty solid and most full shots were going generally in the right direction. About halfway through the bucket of balls, shankathon central kicked in big style and i sent everything to the right hand fence :eek:

When i got home i started thinking about my routine and where it could be falling down to cause the shanks. Eventually i remembered that i was struggling to hold the finish after shots and it felt like i was falling forward a bit.

So i went back tonight and tried keeping my weight a bit more equal so i could hold the finish after shots without falling forward etc. It seemed to work as everything was back to normal but before i started to get too happy i wanted to make sure the balance issue could of been the problem.

Cheers for the reply JO :thup: Feling confident that the crisis has now been averted :)

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
i can get a real dose of the shanks at the range but very very rarely on the course.

Thats funny, a pal of mine told me one of his mates who plays off 2 or something very low so obviously a decent player gets really bad shanks at the range too. He gets on the course though an barely miss hits a shot?

Its a scary scary experience!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Being on your heels can cause them too as you have to reach out for the ball (and there's a tendency to fall forwards). A good set up is always key, and leaving enough room under you (not pushing the hips towards the ball - early extending) for your hands to swing through.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Being on your heels can cause them too as you have to reach out for the ball (and there's a tendency to fall forwards). A good set up is always key, and leaving enough room under you (not pushing the hips towards the ball - early extending) for your hands to swing through.

Yeah i did go too far the other way as well which seemed in my case to cause a wicked hook :eek:

What is weird is how something that has seemed automatic for the best part of 8 months has got out of skew but i suppose thats golf!

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is a decent aid if you are struggling with your balance. I have shanking issues when my weight goes forward onto my toes. I use the rod to rehearse and then hit a few shots (usually just a short iron) to make sure my balance stays centred

http://www.gamolagolf.co.uk/acatalog/Eyeline_Golf_Balance_Rod.html

Cheers for that Homer. Hopefully now ive spotted what im doing i can avoid slipping back into the same mistake, But as we all know golf can kick you where it hurts so this will be getting bookmarked :thup:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thats funny, a pal of mine told me one of his mates who plays off 2 or something very low so obviously a decent player gets really bad shanks at the range too. He gets on the course though an barely miss hits a shot?

Its a scary scary experience!

i couldnt hit a pw for about 15 balls the last time i was at the range. shank shank shank. tried to fade it, tried to draw it, tried hitting it straight and it was the same result. i just had a chuckle and told myself not to worry as it rarely happens on grass!

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
i couldnt hit a pw for about 15 balls the last time i was at the range. shank shank shank. tried to fade it, tried to draw it, tried hitting it straight and it was the same result. i just had a chuckle and told myself not to worry as it rarely happens on grass!

I had a cold sweat on! I thought my god what has happened! I too tried every shot and it was just shank after shank. The more i tried the more it shanked :rofl:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
where you hands cold? i was freezing by the end. started off great but by the end of the bucket i was at this carry on. thats what im blaming!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Ball too clean? Mat too flat? :confused::whistle:

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
where you hands cold? i was freezing by the end. started off great but by the end of the bucket i was at this carry on. thats what im blaming!

I was sweating from head to toe by the time i had finished! Was bricking it by the end! Especially with a big couple of rounds coming up at the weekend!